We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43911815/ns/travel-news/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

I just about to post this here. There is probably going to be much more of this in the upcoming months.

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

The people that are turned away must be very disappointed. Once in a lifetime trip for some.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

This starting to be a real mess.

The UNESCO is the one that set the limit at 2500 visitors per day and the INC is just following instructions. Now they are looking for solutions to this problem to try to fit more people probably by arriving via 2 different places.

For the time being its going to continue to be a problem an you better get your entry tickets via the web site to ensure an entry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

That is why it is important to buy your tickets in advance,

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

Wow! Those poor tourists. The Universe must have been on my side when I took my impromptu trip last month. I paid and arm and leg for airfare because of my last minute decision. Not being able to visit Machu Picchu would have made me angry also.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

There should be a way of letting those ppl in. Many tourists arrive very early in the morning n leave MP by 2pm. Many tourists will not be there whole day long. Also at some stage tourists entering MP leave to eat n unlikely to go in again, like me.

Darien
Level Contributor
147 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

It's good that this is getting more press coverage. It's absolutely outrageous that people who have travelled great distances at great expense are being turned away from the primary reason for their trip. The change in policy should have been communicated well in advance. The website still doesn't enable the purchase of the half price child/student tickets. Perurail's website makes no mention of it. In fact, their comments on Huayna Picchu reflect the old system where you had to arrive very early in the morning to get one of the hiking slots.

The best solution isn't multiple entry points. Am I only going to be able to see half of the site when I go next month? Letting in a few hundred people per day until the peak season ends is the most logical. Or, limit the number of train seats/hiking permits to 2500 as people are used to booking those before booking hotels and buying plane tickets. What is UNESCO going to do? Strip MP of its world heritage site status? That would be a joke and in any event it would be restored once the 2500 limit were more fairly enforced at some later date after giving people proper notification.

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

UGM will evaluate plan to solve limited access to Machu Picchu

livinginperu.com/news-232-UGM-will-evaluate-…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

I think it would be interesting to know how many people were entering MP each day before the 2500 admission restriction.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourists turned away as Machu Picchu limit reached

It is entirely the fault of the local INC in their poor communication of the new policy, together with lack of coordination with PeruRail, local hotel operators, travel agents and airlines.

This should have been well publicisized at least 6 months ahead of time and a warning should have been posted on PeruRail's webite warning of a the impending change.

And to think that the first notices on tripadvisor showed up not because professional travel agents or 'experts' mentioned it, but because a few of us random, non Peruvian TOURISTS noticed the warning on INCs website only a few days before it began.

Absolutely unprofessional with lots of blame to go around, but I don't think UNESCO is the problem.