We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Same route to and from CUZ to SV? Or a loop?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Same route to and from CUZ to SV? Or a loop?

We are flying in to CUZ on Dec. 25th, late morning, and heading to our hotel in Ollantaytambo for the night. On the 27th, we leave our hotel in Urubamba to go back to Cuzco where we will stay for one night in Cuzco city. Is the road to SV the same coming back and forth? Does it make more sense to make certain stops when going into Ollantaytambo versus when leaving Urubamba? Should we stop off to see more "easy" sites on our way to Olly while we acclimate? (Like maybe the animal reserve and Moray/Salineras) and leave the Pisac ruins and/or Chinchero for the drive back? We have booked our first night at Albergue (for the 25th), train to MP the 26th (all day at the ruins), train back to Ollantaytambo that same evening and taxi to Urubamba for the night (of the 26th). I guess my question is: What sites should we see on our way to Olly (from CUZ) versus what to see from Urubamba back to Cusco given the dates that we are traveling (Sunday the 25th/Holiday, etc and Tuesday the 27th)...We'll arrive with only carry-on luggage from the airport @ CUZ (Christmas day)...do we need to pre-arrange travel from the airport to these sites or can we get a driver at the airport?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Same route to and from CUZ to SV? Or a loop?

Maybe this map can help, Ollantaytambo and Urubamba are pretty much along the same road, but Pisac is in the opposite direction:

andeantravelweb.com/peru/…sacredvalley.html

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Same route to and from CUZ to SV? Or a loop?

My wife and I went to Pisac for the market and ruins on the way to Ollantaytambo where we took the train to Aguas Calientes. After Machu Picchu we returned by train to Ollantaytambo and visited Maras and MOray on the way back to Cusco.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Same route to and from CUZ to SV? Or a loop?

There are two ways of going to/from Ollanta

1. Cusco, Pisac, Urubamba and then Ollanta

2. Ollanta, Urubamba, Chincheros and then Cusco

I would recommend contacting your hotel in Ollanta for a pickup from the airport to your hotel.

4. Re: Same route to and from CUZ to SV? Or a loop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2013, 10:35