We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

Hi all,

i see that all the tours and most of the people spend one day visiting MP. I have already booked the entrance with the hike to HP included.

I will be spending the previous night in Aguas Calientes and go very early to MP.

I planned to leave the same day in the 5:30 pm train to Cuzco.

Now I am wondering if it is better to stay in AC overnight and go up to visit MP again the following days.

Have you felt you should have stayed longer than a day and visit twice?

thanks,

Maria

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,295 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

I thought two days there were well worth it. The first day, I arrived in Aguas Calientes, checked in, then met a pre-arranged guide at the ruins. The next day I went up on my own and hiked up to the Sun Gate, which was a lovely hike. I loved having the time to just be there and reflect on the surroundings. I had a nice lunch back in AC, then took the afternoon train back to Ollantaytambo.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
130 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

I would also recomend 2 days. Esp. if you're also doing the hp hike. You wouldnt want to be there and regret not having enough time. We spent -well about 1 1/2 days. and we are glad we did. Plus even when we thought we had seen most of it-we kept finding more and the views are amazing. THere is a lot to see-better to not feel rushed.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

we went in early n by 1:30pm we were hungry, went to the snack bar then bought bus tickets back to AC.....half a day is enough for us....

Edited: 31 January 2012, 16:40
Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

do you have to pay for an additional day to see MP for two days? I would like my first day to include HP (group 2) and if that tuckers me out, go back to AC, and then go back to see more of MP on Day 2.

How does all of that work out on their website to purchase tickets?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

Yes each day requires a separate ticket.

I didn't do any extra hikes and half a day was enough to see the main part of the site at leisure, including waiting for the fog to lift and taking lots of pictures.

I also left after lunch when it started to rain.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 17:39
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Maria

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

We did a 2day/1night inka trail hike. I think the 1 day is enough for the MP site itself. Make sure that you go up to Wayna Picchu. You will have to get a stamp early in the morning (on the day) as only 250 people are allowed up a day. It has amazing view of Machu Picchu site. I would do an extra day as a hike on the Trail as you would be able to see Winay Wayna which was almost empty and very impressive. And it is less touristy that way. The hike is very easy.

We were picked up 4am in the morning from our hotel, drove 1.5 hours, 1 hour train ride, 3-4 hours of hiking. Though Sun Gate, MP from the outside.

2nd day, MP site itself, climbing Wayna Picchu and leaving to Cusco at 5pm.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

Unless you plan to climb huayna Picchu, a half day is more than enough for Machu Picchu. I made time for six hours, but left after only about three.

WQst

http://youtu.be/zC4WHni_B8Y

9. Re: spend one ortwo days at Macchu Picchu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:23