We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coca leaf tea

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coca leaf tea

HOpe this question isn't a stupid one. Is it possible to bring home to the U.S coca leaf tea. Had heard it was illegal. Sounds kind of ridiculous, but wondered if this was true, would like to bring back a couple boxes with me from Peru.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coca leaf tea

It's illegal to bring coca tea back to the USA. However, I mistakenly brought back some coca candy that I didn't realize I still had and didn't have a problem.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coca leaf tea

You could get into trouble if they find it.

My daughter brought a whole box back and never had any problems.

I would risk it and if you are caught I do not think you will be considered a drug smugler.They will most probably take it away from you and thats it.Its not expensive anyway.

This is what is written on the US Customs web page :

As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey,

coffee and tea are admissible.

I guess you can play dumb and say you thought you were bringing Peruvian tea ?

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coca leaf tea

how about bringing back coca tea to Canada? anybody knows if it is legal?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coca leaf tea

I think the same applies as the USA

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coca leaf tea

Don't even try it. Customs often uses dogs to screen luggage for drugs, food and plants. If they search your bags they will find it. You also have to sign an affidavit stating you have no living or previously living product with you. If they find it ignorance may not be enough.

Just FYI, if it matters you will test positive for cocaine for approximately 3 weeks if you drink the tea while in Peru.

Chris

California
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coca leaf tea

We left Peru and entered the US thru Atlanta on a Delta flight and then continued to LAX. My friend had in her luggage several gift bags of coca leaf powder mixed with COCOA powder. We each bought some from a wonderful chocolate chef in San Blas. She was the only one who brought it back and there were no questions, no problems. I also brought back some coca leaf chocolates and coca leaf candies which I didn't realize I still had in my hiking pack, but again no questions, no problems.

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coca leaf tea

I guess you won't have any problem bringing some tea back with you. I ordered some coca tea on line from www.peruwasi.ecrater.com and didn't have any problems.

new york
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coca leaf tea

did you declare the items when you entered or did you just finess customs...

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coca leaf tea

Do not declare it, just go through the green line.

10. Re: Coca leaf tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2006, 10:19