We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

I have my ticket, and have been looking forward to the view from the top. But now I'm thinking that doing this extreme climb will use muscles not prepared for this constant stair-stepping, and usually what happens is that two days later I'm stiff as a board, which lasts for several more days.

I cant afford to be hobbling around, when there is still 9 more days of activities. I guess I'll just have to be stiff and have painful muscles for a few days, but it has kinda taken the excitement out of me.

Has anybody had this kind of afterburn, and how did it affect the next few days of their vacation?

Level Contributor
121 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

my personal experience: i climbed HP in 25 minutes, huffing and puffing the whole way, legs and lungs definitely burning. my legs were sore the next day, but only very slightly, nothing uncomfortable.

granted, i was completely acclimated, having traveled through La Paz, and i consider myself to be fairly fit.

however, even if you take your time going up, stopping to catch your breath regularly, you can reach the top comfortably in about 1 hour.

the adrenaline rush and the feeling of euphoria you will have when you reach this spectacular place, surrounded by beautiful mountains, views of the river below, and of course picture-postcard views of Machu Picchu, will be totally worth any stiffness in subsequent days.

this may well be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. i say do it :)

cusco peru
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

Machupicchu Sanctuary is located at 2400 masl and Huaynapicchu is at 2750 masl (8750 feet), only 3500 meters of difference,

To climb waynapicchu you need just one hour (there are stone staircases to up) to arrive to the highest point of HP.

It is not complicated, You can do it without any problems

Cheers

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

It is not a marathon, so you can go at your own pace, just realx and admire the scenery it is fantastic.

I do not remember it as been too hard, well I have lived in Cusco so the altitude did not affect me that much, the tiny stairs can be kind of tricky but you can manage.

Just show up and decide on the spot, something to remember for all your life.

A friend of mine that I am sure has never in her life done any kind of exercise did it with me and arrived....

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

I am going to go to the gym and work on the stair-stepping machine, and get my sore muscles over with beforehand.

I'm sure I can get to the top...it's just the aftermath that I know will slow me down if I don't break in those unused muscles before I get there.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

Going to the gym it is a great idea! Go for it!

6. Re: wondering now about the wisdom of climbing HP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:33