We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu in December?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu in December?

Hello all,

I am planning a trip to peru (Lima-Cusco-Machu Picchu) through a tour company and i'd like to know if December is a good month to go (weather wise)

Any info and pointers will be much appreciate it.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

Could be rainy in the highlands but varies from year to year.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

I don't mind a little rain but if the average rain is all day raining i'd much rather go another month.

Thanks for all input and info. :)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
45 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

I was there in late December last year and it rained in the afternoon. The morning was clear with a few clouds...it was a nice morning. The storm came in quickly in the afternoon, a common occurrence, and it became cold pretty fast. You should watch the weather forecast and at least take a light jacket/windbreaker to be safe. There isn't enough shelter to accommodate all the visitors, and you could get caught in the rain while waiting for a bus back down the mountain.

Have a great trip!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
49 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

Where did you find your package? I am also looking in December. I am currently looking at the trip offered on Travelzoo's website.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

I am planning well in advance. Not this year but next December. I have been looking at a tour company called Affordabletours.com, but I am open if anyone has other tours companies so I can check for the best prices.

I like to plan well in advance.i have never been there before so any and all pointers would be appreciated.

Edited: 04 June 2012, 22:34
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

I spent Xmas break in Peru a couple years ago and the weather wasn't that bad. There was only one day that I got really wet. The advantage of that time of year is fewer tourists at the sites.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

Hi. My family of 4 are traveling to Peru in December & have booked to be in Cuzco on Dec 10th, Aguas Calientes on 11th to be there early to visit Machu Picchu on the 12th. That night we are booked to stay in Ollantaytambo (12th) I want to buy train tickets for this journey & wondered if anyone could help as I am a bit unclear on how to book that on the website. I also have 2 kids but by the looks of it can't buy concession tickts before we arrive in Cuzco, which I don't want to do just in case we miss out.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

Hi. Sounds like you have a choice of when to go. If so I would not opt for Dec as you are quite likely to get rain especially at Machu Picchu. If you do not have a choice then just do it and you are sure to enjoy yourself anyway. And the weather has gone a bit odd these last years so no guarantees

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

ok, so no Cuzco in December..

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Machu Picchu in December?

Im looking through a tour company called Affordable tours.