We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative treks to machu picchu...

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Alternative treks to machu picchu...

Hi,

i am travelling to peru around mid to late september time with my girlfriend and we are trying to find an alternative trek that will still get me to machu picchu rather than taking the popular inca trail.

Somebody had already mentioned about another route which will still get you to the same place as the inca trail but is far less busy and takes less time. Im sure they also said you do not have to go with a guide group you can trek it alone at your own pace?

if anybody has any ideas of the name or have made an alternative trip than the inca trail advise would be very grateful.

Also is it a good idea to book my tickets for entrance to machu picchu prior to arriving at this time of year?....

1. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 14:35
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

i booked the Inca Trail with Apus Peru but i notice that on their website they say 'the home of alternative treks in Peru'. so perhaps they will be able to help you. their webpage is very helpful and there are lots of comparison pages on there that helped me to make my decisions

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,285 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

Read her for good information :http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/treks/index.html

Cusco
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

Hi there

Well, I'll be honest, I have a hostal on this very backdoor route to Machu Picchu but despite this I can honestly say that doing it yourself (wherever you stay) is far more rewarding than an organised tour. For one you can opt to stay with local families like mine and see how people live in the region. The districts around Machu Picchu are agricultural and farm coffee, cocoa and tropical fruit and there are lots of opportunities to get hands on experience. Taking things at your own is also a bonus as you get to stop and examine the sights and sounds rather than see them whizzing past from a bus or a train. Discovering the way there yourself is brilliant and I would recommend it to anybody. We won a tripadvisor award this year as the 9th most popular hostal in Peru...which we couldn't believe because we're in the middle of nowhere in a tiny village called Quellomayo and get only a few guests a year, but it goes to show how tourism is changing and now even tiny families have the chance to meet and greet tourists from around the world. It has been amazing for my mother and father in law to meet so many different people from different cultures and they have enjoyed swapping stories with all of them.

My advice, go it alone, enjoy every sight, smell and sound and it will make your arrival at Machu Picchu even more special. Good luck!

ANdrew

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

You could try the 'Inca jungle trail'. We did this last year and it was great. Instead of just walking, you do some mountain biking, rafting and ziplining. There are lots of companies that offer it in Cusco, best to book when you get there. You can often book just a day in advance. I haven't got a link for it but all the tour agencies are on the same road as Loki backpacker hostel. The agency with the white bike outside was the cheapest.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that the Inca Trail is the only one to end at Machu Picchu. The others will all end in Aguas Calientes, and then go to Machu Picchu afterwords. That said, there are several options for alternative treks, you can see descriptions of some of them here

http://www.cuscoperuviajes.com/home.php

Warren, Vermont
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

Hi Andrew;

I plan on going in November this year with my wife and three kids 13, 15, and 16.

Would you recommend going this way with kids and how difficult would it be to plan a trip like this and would it the expense would be a lot less or more expensive. We are on a budget so saving some money is a plus but I don't want to make it too difficult on us especially sine we live in the US.

Petr

8. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 March 2013, 19:36
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

I'd agree with #8 to a degree. You can do these treks by yourself if you're an experienced trekker, you probably won't die if you're not but you might have a rough time.

The 2 real alternative options which will take you to Machu Picchu are the Salkantay Trek and Inca Jungle Trek. Lares is a great trek but requires a train to get you to Machu Picchu at the end.

Probably the most economical option is the Inca Jungle Trail, it might also appeal to your teenagers cause you do mountain biking and have the option to visit the Colla de Mono ziplines.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative treks to machu picchu...

Well if you're an American family, have you got experience of multiday backcountry hikes in the US, for instance in National Parks ? If the answer is yes, you can also hike independently in Peru. There is a good Trailblazers guidebook for Salkantay, Choquequirao, and other hikes in the MP area. If the answer is no, than why don't you start hiking in the US ?