We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

We will have a short time to see cusco and MacchuPicchu. As I am just starting to organize this trip, I would like advice about the quickest way to see this area. How long does it actually take to get from cusco to MP? Is it best to sty overnight somewhere closer to the start of the trail? Does everyone hike up or can you get transport up? Ay advice useful, as I know nothing yet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

With 3 days, I would fly into Cusco and go straight to Ollantaytambo, perhaps via Maras or Moray. Visit the Olly ruins that afternoon. Stay the night, then get the train to Machu Picchu the next day. (No hiking needed, there is a bus that goes up to MP.) That night, train back to Cusco. Spend the 3rd day exploring Cusco.

3 days is a very short time and you'll see very little of Cusco and the Sacred Valley sites - is there no way you can spend a longer time in the area?

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

Very good suggestion, thank you. We will have less than two weeks in total and also want to do Titicaca and the Amzon region. Any tips on those regions also welcome!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

I would also do the Amazon from Cusco in order to cut down on your travel time. I did a 4 night/3 day trip with Inkanatura to the Manu Wildlife Center and thought it was terrific. (You can read my review.) You fly to Puerto Maldonado from Cusco for this or the Tambopata trips. Manu is more expensive than Tambopata as it takes longer to get to, so it will depend on your budget.

Are you happy traveling by overnight buses or would you prefer to fly? If flying, you probably want to fly from Lima to La Paz, Bolivia, then get a bus up to Copacabana for the Titicaca visit. La Paz is also worth a day to look around - completely different to Lima. Otherwise you can bus it down from Cusco to Titicaca.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

Thanks again, great information.

Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

If you stay in Ollantaytambo and head to Machu Picchu in the morning before heading to Cusco, is there a place to store luggage in Machu Picchu?

Thanks.

6. Re: 2-3 days in Cusco, Macchu Picchu with young teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:17