We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MP & camera backpack

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
MP & camera backpack

Hi,

off to Peru in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could weigh in on the camera bag/DSLR question.

I've a canon 7d with several lenses, only one of which is the large white one I'd probably not need at MP.

my bag is the lowepro photosport 200 Exterior: 10.6W x 6.7D x 19.3H in.27 x 17 x 49 cm. http://www.lowepro.com/photosport

Are either likely to cause problems? Funnily enough not keen to leave anything at the gate.

We're travelling on a tour with JLA if that makes any difference to things.

thanks

A

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MP & camera backpack

The real problem is that if at the gate the guards think you are carrying a professional camera you will require a permit.

So, do not bring the whole camera bag with you, just the camera and maybe an extra lens to avoid problems

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: MP & camera backpack

Do they thoroghly check your bags and pat you down? I am going as well and probably shooting with a 5dmkii with 16-35. I am bringing my 70-200 2.8is + 1.4x teleconverter strictly for other places since I will probably be shooting wide most of the hike. I just don't want to leave my gear anywhere else but on me. I've heard of people sneaking camera stuff in but its ymmv thus far....

I have no problem with paying if there is a list of what is deemed pro and which are not but from my understanding its up to the discretion of the guards which is totally silly... A person with a rebel and 55-200 could get nailed with a $350 permit and its all consumer level? Sounds like a cash grab to me.

If they gave a distinct list I would simply bring something not on that list since the IQ won't be THAT much different. This is not the case....

This is the emial I got from my tour operator:

"Hi ____,

My operator in Cusco told me that it is true that people that carry a professional camera to the Inca Trail must pay $ 350.00. There isn’t a list but they know all about professional cameras.

You can bring any kind of camera but not professional for not paying that amount.

Let me know if you have any question or doubt.

Regards"

Any insight as to how to get around this?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MP & camera backpack

Many travelers carry small backpacks through out their MP visit and they do not even get checked at the gate.

I was there this week and saw a couple carrying a huge lense inside their small backpack and had absolutely no problems at the gate.

Only full size backpacks are not allowed.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MP & camera backpack

I am baffled by this restriction. I have a regular sized backpack (about 40inches tall x35 in). it is not a camera bag. I am hoping I can carry my Canon Rebel and 2 lenses and small tripod. will they make me pay this prof. fee of 350. that is a lot of $$.

How "small" does the bag have to be?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MP & camera backpack

I am baffled by this restriction. I have a regular sized backpack (about 40inches tall x35 in). it is not a camera bag. I am hoping I can carry my Canon Rebel and 2 lenses and small tripod. will they make me pay this prof. fee of 350. that is a lot of $$.

How "small" does the bag have to be?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MP & camera backpack

I'm thinking I better leave my small tripod behind and my longer lens.

Can I bring in a snack and some water?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MP & camera backpack

Bring in a SMALL bag with a snack, water (reusable bottle is better) and camera and they should not say anything.

Bring in a PRO tripod and a HUGE lens in a big professional bag and they may want you to pay the fee.

You can't bring a full sized backpack in regardless. There is left luggage at the gate.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
996 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MP & camera backpack

WE did the Inca Trail in July. Our porters took any unwanted gear on the last morning straight to AC (different route from hirers on last day). So we were only left with what we wanted for day 4. If I remember correctly you are allowed to take a 20l backpack into MP. We needed our down jackets at 4am in the morning but had taken them off soon after we started walking at 5:30am. So at the gate to MP we checked in our day backpacks (mine was not huge but was 32l in size) and inside this was my down jacket, gloves, beanie etc that was not needed at MP. We took a small draw string nylon bag into MP that could could be worn as a backpack (when empty it could fold up n fit in your pocket). In this I had my camera (Sony HX300 so probably small compared to yours) water bottle, hat, mozzie spray, spare jumper, lightweight rain/wind jacket & a couple of snack bars & fruit. You could buy something at the shop at MP and put it in your bag - just be discreet where you eat it & not in front of security or officials. My camera case was bulky so I used a bubble wrap bag for my camera case on the trail & at MP. Also my day bag was quite full. Put all your camera gear into your day bag if there is any chance it looks like pro gear & I am sure you will be fine. There are so many people going in that unless you draw attention to yourself with a pro camera or a big bag you should be fine.

I am sure you have done this sort of thing before and have the right gear but I found that I had my camera accessible all the time because I did not want to have to take off my backpack every time I wanted to take a quick photo. So a waist bag for camara gear would be handy otherwise the camera keeps swaying around your neck or it's too much effort to stop & get it out. Have a great trip.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MP & camera backpack

I've got a Lowe camera bag and when i was at MP a few weeks ago there were no issues whatsoever with taking it and all of my lenses inside.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MP & camera backpack

What was your largest lens? How big was your bag? Did you have a tripod?

These are some of the things that might cause a gate agent to stop you. Not just the brand name on a bag.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 02:09