We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to buy advance MP Entrance Tickets for Kids? Aug 20th

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to buy advance MP Entrance Tickets for Kids? Aug 20th

We are family of 4 with 16 & 8 yr boys. So we will need 3 adult and 1 student ticket. What would be easiest way to buy the tickets in advance? One hotel travel agent (in Tombo Del Inka Urumbaba) was asking $15 surcharge per ticket. We can not buy Student tickets online.

So, is it better to buy 4 adult tickets online, or find an agent and buy 3 adult+1 student ticket? Please suggest, What would you do. We will go to MP on August 20th. We plan to buy bus ticket to MP after we arrive in Augus Calientes, assuming we always get the bus tickets there(??).

Thanks for your recommendation.

Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to buy advance MP Entrance Tickets for Kids? Aug 20th

Your only choices if you want to secure tickets in advance for your kids are to get adult tickets or use a tour agency or a hotel to get student tickets. Why 3 adult tickets? Your 16 year old should be able to pay as a minor as well.

You can always check the availability on the official website www.machupicchu.gob.pe and decide whether or not you are willing to wait to get to Cusco and buy the student tickets in the Ministry of Culture office ( Av. De la Cultura Nº238 Condominio Huascar-Wanchaq , Mon to Sat, 0700 to 1830); when I visited in August '11, I booked my ticket one month in advance. But I met a couple of backpackers that got tickets on the same day. It's kind of tricky.

Level Contributor
100 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to buy advance MP Entrance Tickets for Kids? Aug 20th

just returned from Peru traveling w 2 kids - we had a wonderful experience working w a tour operator providing driver, guide and entrance tix f MP, train and bus, pick up at airport. Whilst we have been traveling extensively globally w our 2 kids and I have never booked help to finalize any of our trips, I decided to invest the extra money since we booked 3 weeks (!!!) before departure and I was running out of time - and getting frustrated at VISA card issues in Peru when trying to purchase tix/ domestic air fare. It was the best decision I ever took - our vacation was stress free, perfect, knowledgeable guides - highly recommend!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to buy advance MP Entrance Tickets for Kids? Aug 20th

borntoexplore, What tour operator did you use? It's OK to tell the name of the agency if you were a traveler using the company. Problems arise when companies toot their own horns -- definitely not acceptable on forums. But as an ordinary traveler, telling your experience, with agency name, will be a great help to visitors planning their trips now.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 23:40
4. Re: How to buy advance MP Entrance Tickets for Kids? Aug 20th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:17