We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to buy a ticket for Machu Picchu

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How to buy a ticket for Machu Picchu

I asked my hotel in Ollantaytambo for help in booking my tickets to MP. They have informed me that the government site does not work due to recent fraud-- has anyone else heard this? Specifically they said that I can make a reservation via that site but must pay for the tickets in Cusco in person. This is not an option for us.

They recommended two other avenues to book and purchase the tickets. One is a travel agent-- I am awaiting their response-- and the other is an online agency. I have looked at the online agency and it is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive (cost per person would be $72 for just MP).

I am wondering if what the hotel has told me is indeed true. I would hate to pay almost double the cost.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to buy a ticket for Machu Picchu

Do you have a Visa card that is registered with Verified by Visa? You should be able to use the Spanish language version of the official website, and successfully complete a purchase. You can search this forum for tips.

So what your hotel is telling you may not be true, if you have the right credit card.

It is worth trying, I think.

Also if you are not going to hike Huayna Picchu, and just want a standard admission, you can check the number of tickets available online and as you can see there is not any problem to buy the basic tickets in Aguas Calientes.

The price you are being quoted is not really double by the way. Depending on exchange rate the ticket price without commission is about $50-$54.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to buy a ticket for Machu Picchu

The site worked for me two weeks ago. I used the Spanish version of the site and I saw elsewhere on TA to not use Chase card. I am not certain that the card I used successfully was actually Verified by Visa- It was a Citibank card. If you're having problems with the site, I suggest calling the help number - excellent customer service. After I bought the tickets, I noticed an error - When I called, an agent corrected the info right away.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 06:44
3. Re: How to buy a ticket for Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 10:18
4. Re: How to buy a ticket for Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:16