We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inkanatura vs. Explorandes vs. Enigma

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Inkanatura vs. Explorandes vs. Enigma

I'm interested in a high-end tour company that is dependable and (to the extent possible while camping) luxurious. I've narrowed it down to the 3 companies above. Was wondering what people's thoughts were on choosing between the three. Here are my thoughts so far:

Explorandes seems to have the best reputation amongst the three, but we enter Machu Picchu in the afternoon, instead of at dawn (I dabble in photography, so would really want to catch Machu Picchu basking in the morning light). However, it's group size could get really big (up to 15 people) and I think they only use a 2 person tent (whereas the other companies put 2 people in a 3 or 4 person tents).

From their website, I get the sense that Inkanatura has high quality equipment (4 season tents and heavy duty sleeping bags), but there aren't a lot of reviews on Inkanatura on tripadvisor. It seems to be recommended, but I haven't heard detailed trip reports. I'm planning on going in November, so the weather may be a little iffy -- the 4 season tent will come in handy.

I love the Enigma website (but that doesn't really matter). Based on the current reviews, it sounds like people enjoyed their trek, but that they have administrative issues. Additionally, I'd want to do some version of their private/luxury service, but I'm not sure if they're willing to combine me with another group (so far I only have a group of 2, so doing a private group with just 2 people is probably very expensive -- haven't gotten a quote).

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inkanatura vs. Explorandes vs. Enigma

I would recommended 5D/4N private trek, talking about the 3 companies you mentioned im not sure if I can nesesary say they are the best ranked ones, there are other smaller and local companies doing amazing job too, even treating their stuff very well, the same equipment, and less expensive. Go to things to and activities section of TA and email to few of them and let them know what you are really looking for.

Good luck

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inkanatura vs. Explorandes vs. Enigma

IMO Aracari offers one of the best luxury type services for the Inca Trail

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inkanatura vs. Explorandes vs. Enigma

Thanks for the recommendation xochitl. What makes Arcari one of the best?

I did not originally consider them because they are a UK/US based travel agency (which probably explains why it's more expensive) and I didn't see their name on the official list of license inca trail operators for 2013 on the andeantravelweb.com However, their website claims to have an official license. Do they partner with some local agency for the license or is that list wrong?

4. Re: Inkanatura vs. Explorandes vs. Enigma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:21