We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is safe overnight car parking available at Ollantaytambo station?

We are going to hire a car when we land in Cusco and drive straight to Ollantaytambo for the train to Aguas Calientes and spend one night in AC then train back to Ollantaytambo and drive back to Cusco. We couldn't get train tickets at the right times for us to catch the train from Cusco return.

We have limited time to visit MP as we need to be back in Cusco for the start of our Mototaxi junket adventure!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Why not just take a taxi (or hired car+driver) to & from Ollantaytambo instead of renting a car?

Most tourists do NOT drive in Peru for good reason -- there are earlier threads on this topic. It will probably be more expensive to rent a car than take the taxi, anyway.

Easy to get a taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, and there will be many taxis & vans waiting for customers when the train pulls into the Ollantaytambo station on the return trip.

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

I drive in every country we visit no problem. A car drive from Cusco to Ollantaytambo will be a walk in the park compared to us driving a Mototaxi over 3000kms from Cusco to Piura via the Amazon! We can hire a car for $60 and this gives us the freedom to come and go as we please.

We have always hated public transport and avoid it like the plague preferring to stop when we feel like it.

theadventurists.com/the-adventures/mototaxi-…

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,311 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

I guess there must be a safe garage in one of the local hotels but if I remember correctly, the station doesn't have a parking of its own.

Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Thanks Mayflower, I figured this might be the case, I'll contact one of the nearby hotels and see if it's a problem to leave a car there for the night. I did see one a few kilometres away that has car parking for $4.00, ( can't remember the hotel name right now) Not sure if you actually need to have a room to make use of the parking though.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

A taxi to Ollantaytambo is about $30 to $35 one way hired directly (not through a hotel). About 80 soles. So you aren't saving anything, especially as you driving straight to Olly for the train. Most taxi drivers don't mind stopping along the way for photos. A full day touring from one end of the SV to the other, is about 150 to 180 soles. This includes someone to guard your luggage while you walk around.

Ollantaytambo itself is walkable, the old town cannot even be accessed by car. There are mototaxis if you need to be hauled up or down.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 02:44
Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Thanks for the responses regarding Taxi's etc, but we prefer our own transport wherever possible. I appreciate most people would rather use a Taxi or car and driver but we prefer to use just a hire car wherever we can. Cost of Taxi vs Hire car is not an issue for us. We love the thrill of driving in different places around the world and the freedom along with the challenges it offers us.

Getting ourselves lost is all part of the adventure!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

There's definitely a parking lot just up the street from the station. I don't remember if you could park there overnight. This hotel is right in the train station. I would email them and ask as they must have visitors that stay at the hotel drive there.

www.elalbergue.com/en/ollantaytambo-hotel

Edited: 25 August 2013, 03:57
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Or email Peru rail or Inca Rail, whichever train company you will be using, and ask them if they have station parking.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Hope you do not get lost and miss the train.

You can park the car at the train station but it will carry a risk overnight.

Better park at one of the hotels, maybe Pakaritampu, and pay the guard to allow you to leave it here overnight

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parking Ollantaytambo train station

Hello Steve,

Did you managed to park your car overnight in Ollantaytambo? We are also considering renting a car to explore the Sacrey Valley, and we would need to leave the car for overnight in this train station. Do you have any recommendation on that?

Thanks,

Barbara