We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to MP, stay at Sanctuary Lodge, back to Cusco

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cusco to MP, stay at Sanctuary Lodge, back to Cusco

Hi.

We'd like to travel to MP in November. We've got our hotel reservations and our airplane tickets. Next step -- train to and from Cusco to MP.

Do we need to provide our passport to book the train? Will our passport be requested, or taken from us at any point?

Anything special I need to know other than -- buy the train ticket, show up with my one overnight bag and get on the train?

MANY Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
California
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco to MP, stay at Sanctuary Lodge, back to Cusco

You should purchase tix in advance. When u do it online they will ask for your passport number, plus other basic info. And also the card u purchase with... Have on u as well. They may want to see when ur there. Just what I've been learning. Hope it helps. Ill be there in 3 weeks. Safe travels!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,757 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco to MP, stay at Sanctuary Lodge, back to Cusco

You will need your passport number to book the ticket. They will not take the passport from you. In our case, we had our hotel book the ticket for us to make it a little easier. They emailed us the ticket and all we did is show it to the conductor when we boarded. I do not even think he checked our passports. Others who booked on line said they had to go to a Perurail office and exchange the online booking confirmation for the actual tickets.

Luggage is very limited. Make sure your overnight bag is just a small bag. Leave your big bag with the hotel in Cusco or Sacred Valley.

Depending on the rest of your trip, you may want to get a train ticket from Ollantaytambo, which is the Sacred Valley stop. There are a lot more trains from there than from Cusco and it's easy and faster to get a taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo than to take the train and vice versa. And the Sacred Valley is a great place to visit as well so you may decide to stay a night in Ollantaytambo or nearby Urubamba anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
3. Re: Cusco to MP, stay at Sanctuary Lodge, back to Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:18