We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

We are going to spend the night on Octorber 13 in Ollantaytambo and go to Machu Picchu next morning by the earliest train. How to buy train tickets. Could they be bought an advance. Is there a possibility of not getting them?

PS We are going to go to Cuzco after Visiting Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. So buying tickets there is not an option. Any recommendations?

Thanks an advance....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

Yes, buy them now. Trains often sell out. At least october is after high season. Perurail.com or incarail.com or ask your hotel to buy them for you.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 04:28
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

If you want the early train then you will want to go with Peru Rail, their first train out is 5:10am. If you really want to get an early start, then you should spend the night in Aguas Calientes as even the 5:10 train will only get you to Machu Picchu at around 7:00am.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
671 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

Login to www.perurail.com there you will find schedules and fares,

Vistadome recommend the buffet lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge, is best.

The entrance to Machu Picchu, and if you want to upload to Huaynac Picchu, you must purchase in advance on the official website www.machupicchu.gob.pe

Luck.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

If you want to save some money, instead of the expensive Sanctuary Lodge buffet, you can also buy some basic snack bar type items at Machu Picchu or you can buy a box lunch from one of the stores in Agua Calientes or Ollantaytambo and bring it with you to eat.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

While I am sure that the food is good at the Sanctuary Lodge, in my opinion it is also overpriced. You can find very good local restaurants along the river going towards the thermal baths.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
671 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

I have eaten the buffet at the Sanctuary Lodge, is one of the best meals of Peru, and its cost is relatively economical. There is nothing better, to go MP and then leave to rest and eat at the Sanctuary Lodge, enjoying all the amenities you provide.

In Aguas Calientes you will not find anything like it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

Orlando, you must have a bigger food budget than me. For my wife and I to have bought the Sanctuary buffet, it would have cost $70. For me, that's a lot of money for a buffet. We got two boxed lunches from our hotel in Agua Calientes for $30 and had a nice picnic just outside the entrance to MP by the snack bar.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

Be sure to add in that cost of the bus return to your lunch in Aguas Calientes if you think it's a bargain. Most people who only visit MP once are also not likely going to want to sacrifice the time to leave the site. Going back down just to eat is just a foolish use of time if you are only planning one day. The buffet is similar to any hotel buffet but you pay for location. Bring a sack lunch if it does not fit within the budget.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

While I am with wes032, but I think $30 is a bit much for a box lunch, when we went we picked up a few things from a market and made our own, cost was less than S/10 Soles per person (there were 6 of us).

Edited: 21 September 2013, 13:37
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu

#6, a local, definitely has some money/interest invested or he is involved in the tourism business since he has been "offering" information about "convenient" taxi companies on the Spanish-language forum.

I did the same thing as Lyle regarding food, but I stayed 2 nights so I had more time. Most people don't have much time and end up buying lunchboxes from a restaurant or their hotels.