We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

If you are a couple interested in the 2 day inca trail trek to machu picchu, do you need a private guide or can you join up with a group of people who happen to take that trek that day from an operator such as Llama Path?

Also, I believe you are required to go with an operator/guide, and cannot just go on the trail yourself, even with a permit?

indianapolis
Level Contributor
96 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

You are correct - you need to go with a guide. I would recommend looking into this now - as the Inca Trail spots (only so many people are allowed on the trail each day) go quickly - we had to book almost 6 months in advance for the 4d/3n trail experience. We went with Enigma and they were very good.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

Yes to everything you have said! Ask your chosen operator if they have openings on your dates of travel. Remember that a 2 days hike is actually only 1 day of hiking.

You must do the Inca Trail with an approved operator.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

But if we are two can the operator put us with others? Or are all private?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

They will add you to a group of max 16 people, depending on the agency you are using.

You can also book a private tour but at a much higher price

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

Ask your trekking company how people are in the group, in my experience less number of people in the group more enjoyable

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

great thanks to both of you for the good answers.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

Some agencies may pool you with trekkers from other agencies unless you request (and pay more for) a private guide. Ask the agency how many people at max would be in a pooled group for this shorter trek. (It seems it was less people than the max on the 4 or 5 day trek) My husband and I got lucky when we did the 2-day Inca Trail this past September, and had our guide all to ourselves. But we didn't know that until the briefing the night before our trek. You're going to have a great time even if you're combined with other people. Just go at your own pace - no one will be left behind. And it's only one day on the trail, even if you are grouped with another pair or two.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

good to know such possibilities...stuff not talked about in brochures. thanks!!

9. Re: Hiking 2 day Inca Trail for 2 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:20