We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

My wife and I are starting to get geared up for a July trip to MP via the Salkantay Trek. I understand that sleeping bags, tents, and some of the other larger items can be rented from the guide companies, but we need some input on the following:

Clothing (how much, what type).

Packs (size, type (frame or not), etc)

Miscelaneous other stuff...

Don't be afraid to be too specific...

Thanks

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

The norm is that you carry just a day pack and the rest is carried by mules. The ideal bag to strap onto a mule is a soft duffel. Some agencies supply these, and almost all agencies will tell you the maximum weight, so that gives you a starting point.

Daypack- nothing too big otherwise you tend to fill it with stuff. it does not need to be fancy either, if you have one already it will probably do. The size depends somewhat upon what you will put into it. If your rainjacket is big and bulky that takes up more space than a lightweight one. A big DSLR camera takes up more space than a compact and so on.

The lighter the better I would say for most things, as you have to carry them. As long as they actually works,

Clothing (how much, what type). waterproofs ( though the locals wear a cheap plastic poncho, ) a warm top, sun hat, warm hat. Thermals make a big difference on the first night. Swiwear if you are finishing at the hot springs.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

Thanks for the info.

Could you elaborate on the clothing a little further? We've never done a trek like this and while I don't mind re-wearing the same clothes for a week or two, I'm guessing my wife is going to want to bring a full change for each day. I'm thinking the latter isn't realistic with the weight limits we'll have. Do people typically re-wear outer clothing for the whole trip and just swap out undergarments occasionally???

London
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

Merino thermals, well fitting walking boots, sunglasses, fleece, waterproof jacket preferably ultralight type) sunglasses, merino socks, walking poles, hat, baby wipes, sunscreen, torch.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

There is some more info here. It is pretty much the same as you need for Salkantay, even though it says Inca Trail. Hope it helps. escapedtoperu.com/travel-library/…

What I would say is you really do not need to go out and buy lots of stuff. Most people can find enough useable stuff around the house, or perhaps borrow the odd thing. You can find it soon gets expensive otherwise.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

I read the list of recommended gear and saw "change of clothes". Should I take that literally (1 change of clothes) or just some extra clothes...

I also read a post where someone recommended saving a clean set of clothes for the last day (when you arrive at MP) so that you're not a mess from the rest of the trek. Good idea???

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

You should check and see what the weight limit is if the porters will be carrying any of your gear. For a three night, four day trek (Lares Valley and Machu Picchu in July) we rented sleeping bags and sleeping pads which SAS included in the weight allowance. They gave us a duffle for the porters and we added the sleeping bags, sleeping pads, a change of clothes for MP each (one pair lightweight trekking pants, wicking t-shirt, wicking long sleeve shirt, underwear, socks) as well as "long john" bottoms for sleeping, one extra pair of socks, underwear and t-shirt (base layer wick away) as well as minimal toiletries and that added up to our allowance. We wore a base layer t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, lightweight fleece, wind vest and mid-weight polar fleece to start (and end) each day, stripping down as needed. Our day packs also included gloves, a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and a rain jacket which we often added for an extra layer. It was very cold the first night and the next morning so I was not at all interested in changing even my t-shirt! On the third morning it was warmer so both my husband and I were finally willing to make that base layer change! The shower and clean clothes the last night in Aquas Caliente were very welcome and we were happy to have taken a clean set but really were just fine with not changing during the trek.

We did our entire 21 days in Peru with a carry-on and small daypack each. We had our laundry done in Cusco right before the trek and then left everything except what we needed for the three nights/four days of the trek at our hotel in Cusco.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

Awesome, that's what I was looking for... Now just have to book an operator.

@bluewaterdiva: You mentioned you spend the better part of a month in Peru. Can you recommend other "attractions" near the Cusco area? We'll have a couple extra days before or after our MP trek and would like to see as much as possible during out trip.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

Here are some suggestions:

A tour of the ruins above Cusco is a popular choice. Sacred Valley has a lot to see, Ollantaytambo, Pisac ruins, Moras and Maray, Salt Pans, Chinchero.

South of Cusco there are some less visited attractions, Pikillaqta ruins, Tipon ruins, Saylla to eat guinea pig, Huacarpay lake for birdwatching or a nice stroll, Lucre for a traditional village.

Activities to do: rafting, horse riding, day walks, via ferrata, mountain biking,

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

Check this website for more information on things to do in the area: andeantravelweb.com/peru/…index.html

And EscapedToPeru gives excellent advice.

10. Re: Gear Recomendations - Salkantay Trek to MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 03:05
Edited: 14 December 2013, 03:05