We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Hello, my wife and I plan to go to Peru in April 2014. We travel light,frugal and without a tour group/guide. 1st and foremost we want to be sure to see MP. We want to be certain we can get tickets. Sounds like we can in Cusco with out any problem? What about bus,train and hotels, should we anticipate any difficulty? If someone has been there recently and can offer suggestions please do.

Thank You

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Peru is a very tourist friendly country and extremely easy to visit on your own. You can book hotels online through the hotels own website or your favorite booking site. We took the train to MP and had our hotel book that for us, but you could do it through the web, too. The MP ticket website has difficulties. If you read the forum you'll see lots of people have issues with it so we had our hotel book those tickets to avoid the website issues. We took a couple tourist buses. One was arranged by a hotel. The other we emailed through a link on their website and reserved that way.

Indiana
Level Contributor
816 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

We booked all in advance and I highly recommend it. We visited MP on Dec 30 and were told no problem getting train and entrance tickets. Silly me, decided to buy then in advance anyway. Surprise, the two days we were there both the train and MP were sold out. People were turned away. Why take a chance...buy both online in advance.

If you are on your own, I found this great audio guide.

https:/…

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

For sure buy entrance and train tickets in advance via Internet.

You should also book your hotels and airline tickets via Internet.

I recommend you go straight to the Sacred Valley upon arrival to Cusco City airport for an easier altitude acclimatization process.

Check on TA for recommended hotels in the SV as you will find prices and accommodations for all budgets and likes

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Train tickets should be bought in advance so you get the best times and budget for your needs. The penalty to change tickets is minimal (10% and at least 24 hours in advance).

Obviously if you are going during holidays such as around Christmas, Easter, or during the peak months (mid May to mid September), book hotels, flights, and tickets in advance. If you are wishing to walk up Huayna Picchu, definitely buy that entry ticket (combo with MP entry) in advance.

The rest of the year a few days ahead to buy tickets should be fine. When I went in early May, I bought my ticket the same morning at the office in Aguas Calientes. The website is reportedly working better these days but use the Spanish language version. Some are reporting that Visa debit cards are working as well as Verified by Visa credit cards.

There is tons of useful information on the website www.andeantravelweb.com

scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Hi... Are there any drivers you can hire for day tours around Cusco?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

You do not need a driver in Cusco. It's very walkable. If you wanted one for some reason, any hotel can set you up with a taxi or, if you want, a tour guide. You would only need a car if you are going to the ruins outside the city or to the Sacred Valley.

phoenix
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Planning a trip in October to include the sacred valley & MP. Any tips on getting there and back from Cusco? What about touring the sites? Do you need to book this with a tour company? (or through a hotel?) Or is this something you can wing on your own after taking a taxi there? Any tips appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Sputnik013, your question is pretty broad and not very clear. The Sacred Valley and MP are two different places. To get to MP from Cusco, generally you take either a train all the way from Cusco, or I think better, a taxi or bus to Ollantaytambo and train from there. The train goes to the town of Agua Calientes. At the train station, you get a bus that goes the last 20 minutes up the mountain to the entrance of MP.

The Sacred Valley is roughly the area outside Cusco from Pisac to Ollantaytambo. You can get to various locations in the Sacred Valley either by hiring a taxi for the day or shared sort of taxis called collectivos.

You can arrange all the above on your own or by having a hotel help you or through a tour company.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

Hello:

I am planning a trip to Peru for the end of April too, we are going to Paracas, Nazca lines, Cuzco, Puno

and Puerto Maldonado. I am organizing a tour if you want more info, please contact me.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peru/Machu Picchu on our own

We are also planning a trip o sacred Valley but next year. We plan to stay at Kuymi Ruchi in urubamba for a few nights to acclimatise. Rodrigo was most helpful and said they will book any tours tickets drivers etc we need. Place looks amazing too. Good luck :-)