We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

My wife and I are going to Machu Picchu in July. Our itinerary has us going from Cusco to ollantaytambo and spending the night there. We were then going to get up early to catch the train to Machu Picchu and take the train back to Cusco that night. My question is what do we do with our luggage while at Machu Picchu as we will have checked out of the hotel in Ollantaytambo and will be heading back to Cusco that night?

Thanks for your help!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

Take only the bare minimum with you when you leave Cusco for Ollantaytambo -- just enough to fit in a daypack. Then, just carry it with you at Machu Picchu. There is a bag check (very inexpensive) at MP, just inside the entrance gate, if you don't want to carry that daypack with you.

Leave your larger luggage at your Cusco hotel. (whether you are staying there before or after -- or both.)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

If I understand this right, you're leaving from Ollantaytambo to MP but taking the train all the way back to Cusco. I think that plan needs to change. Take the train back to Ollantaytambo and a taxi from there. You can leave your luggage at your hotel at Ollantaytambo. They will hold it for you and you can pick it up when you get off the train. It's just as fast, if not faster, to get to Cusco this way. Our hotel arranged a taxi to meet us at the Ollantaytambo train station. They had the luggage already in the taxi. We were in our hotel in Cusco 90 minutes after getting off the train.

Your other option is as redhead47 suggested. Leave all your luggage in Cusco. Take just enough for the night in Ollantaytambo in a small backpack. Your hotel in Cusco will hold your luggage for you until you get back.

Your problem, by the way, is a very common one. All the hotels are used to holding luggage for travelers while they head to MP.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 01:53
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

You could also store your bags at the train Station, Peru Rain has free bag storage and you could pick it up when you return to Ollantaytambo, then catch one of the many buses back to Cusco.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

Or you can take the Vistadome 8.53 train that has a luggage carriage on-board, where Peru Rail permit up to 20 KG's per person without charge.

Alternatively, just pack an overnight bag for 2 nights and leave the rest of your luggage in Cusco!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

Actually 23kg according to their website.

6. Re: What to do with Bags while in Machu Picchu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18