We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

Hello, my husband and i are planning a very very quick trip to peru in mid march. We would like to do the wayna pichu climb while there.

We are planning on arriving to Ollantaytambo on friday evening and taking the first 5am train Saturday to machu pichu that arrives at 630.

Will it be possible for us to do the 7am start time for wayna pichu? I understand that we have to enter the hike between 7-8 am.

How long after you get off of the train can you be at the hike? Do we have to pick up tickets etc?

Thanks so much we are really lookimg forward to it!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

I don't think it is possible. From the train station, you have to walk over to the bus stop, buy your bus ticket, wait in line for a bus, which could be a 20 minute or more wait early in the morning, then take the bus up the mountain. Then wait in line to enter MP and walk 15-20 minutes across the site to the entrance to Huayana Picchu. To do all that in 90 minutes to make it before the 8:00 cutoff is really, really pushing it. On our trip, we were at the bus stop roughly 5:30 and were not to the hike entrance until 7:15 or so. If you can't stay in Agua Calientes, I'd suggest doing the 10:00 hike or hike the sun gate which can be done any time.

Ideally since you are short of time, you should buy your MP entrance tickets ahead of time either from the website or have your hotel in Ollantaytambo do it for you.

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

Thanks so much- we will plan for the ten am start time then. Which leads me to my next question- if we have a say 2pm train back to ollantaytambo- what time do we have to leave machu pichu. I do t want to book a train so early that we have to race trough the site- but we will be heading back to cusco that afternoon evening as well.

Thanks again!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

We are headed there in March and made arrangements with a private tour company - their recommendation (after the 1 day hike we're taking to get to MP) is to get up bright and early in AC, get up to MP and do the tour of the site right away before the hoards of day trippers arrive. Although they did suggest perhaps not trying to get on the very first bus because that's often a LOT of waiting in line, if we wait 30 min or something we can probably walk right on to the bus. Then we will be done with our guided tour in time for the 10 AM WP hike, back down by noon, another hour or so wandering around, then back to AC in time for the 3 PM train back to Cusco. Or we can head down to AC right away after the WP hike in order to have lunch before boarding the train. So I get the feeling you need to head down about 90 min before your train departs to get from MP down to AC and the train station.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

If you do the 10:00 hike group, you can easily be back down by 12:30, and possibly faster. We're old and slow and like to linger and took about 3 hours. We saw people that had basically run to the top in half an hour. Then walk to the entrance where the buses are, say 1:00 you get on a bus. At 1:30 you'd be at the train station. I think 2:00 is comfortable unless you want to leave yourselves an extra hour in there for lunch.

One note if you show up at the HP entrance gate at 10:00, expect to spend 15-30 minutes waiting to get through the check point to start the hike because more or less all 200 people with tickets line up then.

"Although they did suggest perhaps not trying to get on the very first bus because that's often a LOT of waiting in line"

If you do not care about sunrise, you can certainly do that. Does not buy you much other than you can wait at your hotel, and potentially sleep an extra 30 minutes, instead of waiting at the bus line. It moves pretty quickly once the buses start running.

5. Re: Questions regarding wayna pichu timing and trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:19