We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

We plan to visit Machu Picchu in early June. We plan to spend two days visiting Machu Picchu. The question is whether to stay our one night at the Sanctuary Lodge or at Inkaterra which looks beautiful. Of course we would like a nice room for the $$ at SL but it's more about the views and the convenience of being there early to see the sunrise in the park.

Some of my questions…

- Is there a view of Machu Picchu from the lower end rooms?

- From the public areas?

- From the grounds?

- I've heard the sunrise may not be very dramatic due to clouds and surrounding mountains. Is seeing the sunrise over Machu Picchu worth the effort to get there early by bus or worth the $$ if staying at SL?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

I would stay at the Inkaterra Hotel and have lunch at the Sanctuary Hotel

You will have a view of Machu Picchu after entering the site, you cannot see it from the outside or from the hotel, the views you will get will be of the sorrounding beautiful mountains.

The only thing would be going up and down the Aguas Calientes each day but it is only an aprox half an hour ride

Hope this helps you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

One vote for Inkaterra, too. It is the most beautiful and luxurious facility in AC. But Sanctuary Lodge is right in front of MP entrance, so, it is very convenient, especially if you want to see sun rise or it rains in the middle of the sight seeing to rest.

After returning from MP, I realized that many of my friends stayed at Sanctuary Lodge. They all said that it was expensive but worth it. It is the place where you can "tell" your friends. It is a kind of a symbol of MP and everyone recognizes it. "Wow!!! you stayed in Sanctuary Lodge!!!" But not everyone recognizes Inkaterra. But the facility of Sanctuary Lodge is just standard, because it is located in very very inconvenient place, so you can't expect such luxury there.

As for the sun rise, you can see the sun comes out from the mountain, probably one hour after it gets bright. It is already bright, then you can actually see the sun comes from the mountain. It is underwhelming, but it is a good idea to start your day early anyway.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

Thank you both. I think we agree. Inkaterra it is. It really does look gorgeous. We'll be going in June so rain probably won't be an issue. We can take the bus up to see the sunrise. I think Inkaterra even has a private car available to drive you up early if you want. Thanks again.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

The Inkaterra by a mile.

No special transport to MP though, evervyone has to ride the buses.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

We were at MP at sunrise on a perfectly sunny day and honestly thought it was nothing much. The sun is way up in the Sky before it peaks over the mountains so you don't get the sunrise colors like a sunrise on a flat horizon.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

You will love the Inkaterra!

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

Another vote for the Inkaterra.....fabulous!!

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

Haha. I'm feeling very good about our choice! Those of you answering, I assume you stayed there? Any room or suite preference? Or hints about the hotel?

xochiti: this is what I saw on their website under the category of 'Services - Extra Charge"

Transportation

: Train Transport service in train to Machu Picchu from Cusco and Ollantaytambo and back. Prior reservation.Private bus service to the citadel Round trip private bus service to the citadel with a flexible schedule. Available from pre-dawn hours. Prior reservation.

Maybe this means a ride to where the buses pick you up, not sure?

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

I will put in a vote for Sanctuary. Can't beat the location. Food and massage were also great.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra

At the Inkaterra, we had a junior suite. Very nice, with private patio & small hot tub (no jets, though). At the spa, I had a very good, really needed massage the day after arrival off the Inca Trail.