We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu + Montana ticket - Inca Trail Tour

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Machu Picchu + Montana ticket - Inca Trail Tour

My husband and I are doing a 4day/3night Inca Trail Trek with a tour company. We want to add the Montana hike. When I contacted our tour company, they told me tickets are $70 each per person for the ticket, but when I check the website (http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/) it's only S/140 per person for the ticket if I buy them myself. Can anyone tell me whether I would have problems if I booked the ticket on my own rather than through our tour company?

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu + Montana ticket - Inca Trail Tour

what is the montana hike?

we booked our MP tickets ourselves, in person. take your passports to the DRC cusco which is just near the Cusquenia Brewery gardens, and either credit card or soles, it's very fast.

however, if the tour company has already booked your tickets, i'm not sure if you can add on. can't hurt to try.

part of the problem is that if a tour agency buys on your behalf, they are deemed to be selling a service and therefore have to pay tax--which of course they will charge you. and if they pay by credit card, they may have to pay the credit company a percentage--which will be passed on to you. i know one tour agency who simply do not book MP tickets because of the hassle from customers who are upset about extra payments.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu + Montana ticket - Inca Trail Tour

Book in advance, they do have a tendency to sell out! The Machu Picchu Montana Hike is the best hike at Machu Picchu and is well worth the effort. Here is a link to an article that I wrote on it a few weeks back after hiking it for the 5th time!!

theonlyperuguide.com/peru-guide/…

The views from the top are FAR superior than that of Huayna Picchu! Enjoy.

PJ

3. Re: Machu Picchu + Montana ticket - Inca Trail Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:16