We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance to cover altitude

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel insurance to cover altitude

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could recommend me a travel insurer who is reliable, has good customer service, and covers high altitudes experienced when trekking to Machu Picchu. I have had bad experiences before with making claims. Does anyone have any specific stories with regards to claims, I'm not bothered about cost, or the ease of website use. All I'm bothered about is being protected in a bad situation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

I luckily have not needed to file a claim (fingers still crossed) - but I used squaremouth.com to find an insurer. They have reviews of the various companies so at least you can read through them to get other people's experiences. I know there are several companies similar to squaremouth - but the other names currently escape me.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

Another site where you can check out insurance agencies is www.insuremytrip.com You are wise to be buying travel insurance.

Before purchasing travel insurance, I download & carefully read the policy to understand what is covered & what is not, and what the requirements are - like buying within a certain amount of time of booking your trip. An agency I or WannaBTraveling2 might use as US residents might not be available to you in the UK - or might have different coverage & rules.

I would think altitude problems would be covered by any companies offering travel health coverage. After all, you are not talking about climbing Mt. Everest!

Edited: 11 June 2014, 00:52
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

The OP is from the UK, so referring them to US insurance websites is pointless. I have never been aware that any UK insurer would not cover you for travel at altitude, but if you are worried that they might not, you can always contact them prior to purchase. Most offer similar cover at similar prices. As someone who travels quite a bit, it is much more cost effective to haven annual policy. Sports Cover Direct has a good reputation. I used them for riding in Mongolia, which my usual company wouldn't cover. Fortunately, I did not have to make a claim, so don't know howitzer would have fared if I had.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 06:41
Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

I wouldn't say pointless. Before providing an option I did verify that squaremouth had companies that covered UK citizens. So it is up to the OP if they mind going through a US website or not.

To add to redhead said - the one thing I did find is that some companies considered simply the fact that you were at high altitude as "mountaineering" even if you weren't mountain climbing. So even for wondering around Cusco you had to add special coverage. So read the small print and ask questions if you aren't sure!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

You may want to check price comparison websites in the UK, eg moneysupermarket.com or Google 'best insurance '.

I think you also need to ask the questions around how you cantact the insurers when in remote pkaces, and where would you be treated, if necessary.

I think you are right to be concerned, but I think most people cope with the altitude by taking simple precautions and educating themselves about its effects.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,234 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

Buying travel insurance is always a good idea. In this case, the insurance should be considered as a necessary yet secondary aspect of trip-planning. The primary aspect should be researching the trip carefully and taking precautions, as peterscot has said. Give yourself time to acclimatize and don't rush.

I've used World Nomads before but never needed to contact them. They seem to have good customer service and provide support to active and sports travel. http://www.worldnomads.com

London
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

I normally use http://www.trailfinders.com/insurance. The cover is amongst the best on the market. I have only had one claim which was for a camera stolen in Ecuador and the claim was dealt with quickly and without hassle. Make sure you disclose ANY pre existing medical conditions.

Check the T&Cs but most insurers will cover for up to 5000 m automagically.

If you are travelling for less than thirty days, check whether your home insurance covers you. I am with Direct Line which includes annual triavel insurance as do a number of other major insurers.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 20:50
8. Re: Travel insurance to cover altitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:16