We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu

A tour company I'm considering using quoted me $650 for 2 day MP tour including train from Olly, private guide for 2 of us, overnight in hotel in AC, 2nd day MP entry and hike HP and train back to Cuzco. Does this seem right? They say guide for 2 is expensive but we don't necessarily need a private tour. Can we hire a guide at MP the day of and travel to/from ourselves. I've never used a company before and I'm not sure I need to start now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu

It's not outrageous. RT ticket on PeruRail is probably $120 ea. Entry tickets into MP are not cheap either and you've got two days, one including HP which costs extra. Plus a hotel, and hotels in Agua Calientes are not cheap either. You can easily book all this yourself so if you want, go to perurail.com, to the hotel's website, and to theofficial Machu Picchu page where you can buy tickets, http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/, and add up the costs. You will pay a surcharge for using an agency.

You can pretty easily book all this yourself if you want. You don't need a tour agency. Another in between way to do it is to pick a hotel you want to stay at in Agua Calientes and ask them to make all the arrangements. Most, if not all, of them offer packages.

You can hire a guide at the entrance to MP when you arrive. They'll be waiting around. Also, you can get a good guidebook, like Ruth Wright's guide to MP, which you can find on Amazon easily, and do a self-tour. We did a guided tour for 2 hours to give us the lay of the land and then walked around on our own using the guidebook and found them both helpful. The guide gave us an overview but skipped a lot of stuff that the book covered in much, much more detail.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu

Thank you for your response. I should specify, they quoted $650 per person, so $1300 total.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 19:08
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu

Just as a benchmark, about a year and a half ago, we booked through a hotel in Agua Calientes, Treehouse Lodge. For two people, we paid $1000 USD for a package not that much different than yours. I decided to book the package from the hotel to make things a little easier. When I added up all the costs, I was paying a little more to do it that way, but not that much. And then I did not have to mess around with non-functional websites to book train tickets or MP entrance tickets.

That included

-one night in the hotel

-Expedition train to AC from Ollantaytambo

-Upgrade to Vistadome train back to Ollantaytambo

-Two days entrance tickets to MP for two people. The second day included HP

-Round trip tickets on the bus to/from MP, both days

-Dinner at the restaurant in the hotel, which was nice

-Two box lunches to take with us to MP on the first day

-A 2-hr guided tour of MP for three of us. There was one guy on his own at the hotel so he shared a guide with me and my wife.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu

You can find many companies with different prices and if you are traveling by yourself, is a good choice. guides at Machu Picchu , of course , there are many and all locals

5. Re: Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 07:15