We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Topic
booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

Ive been looking at g adventures/intrepid but all seem to involve staying a set number of nights at their chosen hotel. I want to stay maybe 2 nights in lima and 3 in cusco before/after the trail and choose my own hotels. Has anyone had experience doing this-booking literally just the 4 day tour with say g adventures without doing one of their full trips?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

I would say -try another operator.

From personal experience 2 years ago a travel agent here in Brisbane tried to get Gadventures to let me just book the Uyuni/Salt Flats component of a tour they had that went from La Paz to Chile.

They were happy to let me take just the section I wanted (at my own risk if I did not make it to the meeting point) but the catch was I would still have to pay for the entire tour. Needless to say I didn't take them up on the option.

So I would say you don't have much chance of getting it cheaper by only using the components you wanted. There are many local operators that are not international companies. Do a search on this forum and see what you can find.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

Peter I did a search on the Web site of the company I did my Inca Trail trek on. Have a look at this. They offer just an Inca Trail Trek, including trains. By the sound of it the tour starts when they pick you up at your hotel in Cusco and the train arrives back in Cusco. This might be what you are looking for.

condortravel.com/en/…

Enigma seems to offer this as well.

enigmaperu.com/en/program/974/classic-inca-t…

Edited: 29 June 2014, 23:01
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

You can just book the Inca trail with a. Tour company and do the rest by yourself, no problems whatsoever.

Many recommendations and ideas for traveling in Peru are found on this forum

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

Many agencies will do just the Inca Trail for you, without other hotel stays, etc.. In fact, most of those all-inclusive tours are outsourcing the Inca Trail part to one of the Inca Trail agencies that only do the trek(s).

I booked everything for our trip to Peru by myself online, EXCEPT the Inca Trail. For that, you must use one of the registered Inca Trail agencies. Planning & booking our trip was very easy, and I got the itinerary & hotels I wanted. No reason to book with GAdventures or Intrepid unless you really like the itinerary & hotels for the rest of the trip.

We trekked with Llama Path & thought they were great. Other Inca Trail agencies often recommended on this forum include Peru Treks, Q'ente and Pachamama Explorers.

More info on the Inca Trail here: andeantravelweb.com/peru/…incatrail4.html

Registed trek operators (go to comprehensive list): andeantravelweb.com/peru/companies/peru/lice…

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I will have a detailed look on the forum for some recommendations.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

Llamapath looks goid but having to pay deposit by western union/PayPal then balance in cash in their office seems a little strange. Is this standard practice for all tour companies?

I would rather be able to pay the balance by card than have to take an extra 1k USD in cash with us on holiday.

thanks

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

I took cash with me to pay the remainder of the fee - split it between my husband & myself, carried in underclothing money pouches. You can email them to ask if credit card payment is possible. When I booked with LLama Path, I paid the deposit by credit card, but agency policies may have changed.

Most companies in Peru add a surcharge for credit card payment when they do accept them. 6% seems to be the norm. Not sure, but I think the CC companies charge fees to the agencies and it seems to be standard practice to pass that expense on to the consumer (unlike how it's done in the US). Think of it as getting a discount for paying cash!

8. Re: booking everything but the trail itself indipendently

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:16