We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
124 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

It seems that we have a full day in Aqua Calientes - we booked tickets for Machu Picchu two days and our credit card was charged but then after a 10 day delay, we were notified that only day one was available. We are still trying to see what can be done and we have a friend in Lima that is trying to sort it out for us but in the meantime, we need to be prepared with Plan B -- what can we do in Aqua Calientes if we cannot enter Machu Picchu on the second day (we are spending the night in AC). I've heard about a climb up a mountain that involves ladders -- we may look into that but not sure what else would be an option. Any ideas welcomed!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

Not much to do in AC Im afraid unless you enjoy eating pizza/pasta or going concrete hot-tubbing. The climb is called Putucusi.

www.google.ca/url…

If you cant secure MP tickets for the second day then you might consider heading back to the Sacred Valley/Cusco. Even if you cant get a refund for the night in AC there will be more to see and do. You could daytrip back and forth and still overnight in AC but that adds up to.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

1. Climbing up Putucusi mountain will occupy you for 2-3 hours at least.

2. There's an outdoor thermal pool that you can do.

3. If you're into photography then challenge yourself to take interesting pictures of A.C., and its visitors :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
124 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

Thanks -- I read about that climb (the one with ladders). We might go ahead and do that. We have train tickets for the ride back to Cuzco (Poroy) so unless we could change them and cancel our room we will just stay in AC. I like to take photos so I'll probably concentrate on AC people and places like you suggested. The others might be up for the thermal pools -- I'm not so keen in sitting in waters with everyone else (but you never know -- it's vacation). Thanks, Axel2DP and JodoKast1221. Have either of you done Putucusi mountain? It actually looks pretty interesting and out of the ordinary!

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

Yes, I did Putucusi just this past May. When I did it there was no checkpoint at all, which surprised me, because I thought this climb was potentially more dangerous. But I've read a couple of other reviews where the climbers said that they had to sign in and out near the bottom of the climb, so maybe the guards had an off day when I climbed it. I You'll see sort of a side view of MP from the top. From a photography stand point, you'll might be somewhat disappointed with that view of MP, but you could get lucky with the right lighting. The view of the town AC below nested between the mountains as you climb higher is neat.

Do allow yourself plenty of time in daylight to climb down the mountain. I did an incredibly stupid thing by waiting until after sunset to head down from Putucusi. It got dark relatively quickly, and I had no torch light on me. Climbing down the wooden ladders backward in the dark was actually the easy part since I was able to feel the ladder with my hands and feet. Walking down stony steps and slippery ground in the dark was an entirely different matter altogether ! I was so happy when I made it to the bottom.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

Why not visit MP again ?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

The OP posted that he couldn't get MP ticket for the second day. But It's worth a try to visit the ticket office in AC once you're there anyway to see if there might be tickets available. Or your hotel might be able to magically score some extra ticket for the 2nd day.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

I wondered the same thing and visited the Ministry of Culture website and for the foreseeable future- right through to September- I can't see any dates on which normal admission tickets to MP are sold out.

In fact from 10th July onwards I see 2000+ tickets for sale every day. Yes Huaynapicchu tickets are sold out right through to September but not the general admission ticket. Maybe I am looking at the website incorrectly.

KSOFCAL- what dates were you wanting to visit and maybe someone else can check the website for you?

http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/

8. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 02:36
9. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 02:36
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with a full day in Aqua Calientes?

Hike Putucusi Mountain.....here is a detailed article on the hike, where to find the trail head and photos. It will take 3 hours + to do the hike.

Better still it wont cost you a penny. Take care though! The ladders a pretty scary!

theonlyperuguide.com/2014/…