We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houstonls
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

I am hiking the Inca trail the first week of September and am wondering if I can do the hike in my exercise/yoga pants (I have both long and capri style) or if I need to buy a pair of the traditional hiking pants? They are not very cute to say the least. :-)

Peru
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

Dry season in the Andean region near Machu Picchu generally lasts from May to October, so super muddy conditions which generally warrant traditional hiking pants shouldn't be an issue for you in September. I say go for it and hike in your yoga pants if it's comfortable to you. Temperatures will drop at night, so I suggest bringing some warmer layers to keep warm.

Happy trekking!

Britt

Peru For Less/Latin America For Less

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
49 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

I only wore running tights the full 4 days, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Everyone else had those zip off things. I was perfectly happy as I was.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

One advantage the hiking pants had for me is all the pockets - you can keep hand santitizer & toilet paper handy! Yoga pants would be fine if that's what you want to wear, but "cute" will likely not be a concern on that trek!

houstonls
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

Thanks everyone. It would definitely help me from having to buy more attire!

5. Re: Is it crazy to do the trek in yoga pants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:18