We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duration of MP visit

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
37 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Duration of MP visit

We plan to visit the ruins and climb Huayna picchu on the same day. Have some questions:

1. Our planned itinerary is to enter the Huayna picchu climb on the 7am round. I’m a slow walker so I assume it would take us at least 3 hours to go up and down. After that, how much time do we need to visit the ruins? We want to head back to Cusco on the day, so we need to know at which time to book the train back.

2. Are there any other climbs or entrances we need to book in advance ןמ MP? (Temple of sun?)

3.Train back - which one is better? Ollantaytambo or Poroy?

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duration of MP visit

Hi there,

On my last visit to Machu Picchu, my parents and I arrived to the ruins around 6:30 a.m. and took an evening train back to the Poroy Station in Cusco- around 5:30 p.m. I believe. We climbed Machu Picchu Mountain, went on a guided tour, and had plenty of time to explore/take photos. We permitted about 1.5 hours from the time we left Machu Picchu to take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes, collect our bags at the hotel, and walk to the train station.

Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain are the two hikes within Machu Picchu that travelers need to buy tickets for in advance. You don't need a ticket to walk up to the Sun Gate, nor will it take you nearly as long as the climb up Huayna Picchu.

As for a complete "ticket checklist": Do you have your train tickets? Roundtrip bus tickets to Machu Picchu from Aguas Calientes? Machu Picchu entrance tickets? Huayna Picchu tickets?

It would be easier taking the train all the way back to the Poroy Station about 20-30 minutes from Cusco city if your time in Cusco/Sacred Valley is coming to an end after your Machu Picchu visit.

Happy travels!

Britt

Peru For Less/Latin America For Less

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
37 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duration of MP visit

thanks for the response!

which of the climbs is easier? (I mean physical strength wise) And which one will take longer?

I don’t want it to be too exhausting so that I will not have energy to explore the ruins and on the other hand I don’t want to miss the view from the top.

On our way to Aguas Calientes we plan to take the train from Ollantaytambo since we want to visit Pisac market on the way. So may be returning to Poroy station will be better. We will be staying is Cusco for 2 more days before heading to Puno.

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duration of MP visit

Both hikes are steep climbs, but at a steady pace and plenty of stops to rest you should be okay. In terms of length, Huayna Picchu is shorter and most people - of all fitness levels - can reach the top in about an hour. My parents and I got to the top of Machu Picchu Mountain in about an hour and a half.

Yes, I think going all the way back to the Poroy Station will be easiest since you'll be spending the next couple of days exploring Cusco.

Have fun!

Britt

4. Re: Duration of MP visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 02:36
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duration of MP visit

On the way back, there are a lot more trains to Ollantaytambo than Poroy and the train goes slow after Ollantaytambo because it's going through populated areas. Usually it's faster to get to Cusco by taking the train to Ollantaytambo and a taxi from there than waiting for the train to Poroy.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duration of MP visit

did the Huaynu Picchu hike. It was more strenuous than expected. I believe it is over 1000 feet which is about the same as climbing 100 story building. Add to that the thin mountain air and the uneven steps. Its doable but its no walk in the park if youre not fit.

7. Re: Duration of MP visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 21:15