We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How warm should a jacket be for an Inca Trail in August?

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How warm should a jacket be for an Inca Trail in August?

My husband and I are going to the 4d-3n Inca Trail. I keep wondering should I bring a really warm winter jacket or would just windproof lighter jacket be sufficient? As being a winter in Peru, the nights can get really cold, so any practical advice would be appreciated.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How warm should a jacket be for an Inca Trail in August?

Don't bother with a warm jacket - layers will do better for you. A fleece or (alpaca) sweater under your windproof jacket will be better. A heavy winter jacket takes up a lot of room & is not very flexible as temperatures change throughout the day. It might be pretty warm (down to shirt sleeves) at mid-day, but really chilly by nightfall. Gloves & warm hat might be welcome at night. I slept in long johns, but did not use them during the day (early September).

2. Re: How warm should a jacket be for an Inca Trail in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:17