We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Undecided about Peru trip

Bonita Springs...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Undecided about Peru trip

My husband and I are seriously considering a trip to Peru - in Oct 2014 [15 days give or take]. Our interests are art and God's beauty and history. We do have physical limitations my husband has a severe hearing loss - he can only hear in his left ear [with a hearing aide] We are also concerned about the altitude, my husband is older and we do not want to rush but enjoy the country. So we feel we may need a private tour so he can enjoy a guides information[clearly speaking english would be great]. Here's what we are considering flying from FL to Lima -- to Ariquipa - Colca canyon -- Lake Titicaca - Cusco - Sacred valley - Machu Picchu. We assume this would help with the altitude issue [ going from low - high] We are not able to hike or raft etc we want to enjoy our time in Peru. We love mountain views and spectacular scenery. Budget is an issue but someone once said "it only takes a nickle more to go first class." We are looking for help with recommended tour companies - and looking for advise whether this Peru holiday is for us. All input appreciated, have a blessed day.

Kansas
Level Contributor
436 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

Lake Titicaca and Cusco are actually the highest elevation of the places you have listed, but if you book with a tour company they will likely adjust the order to meet your needs and will take altitude adjustment into consideration. You might be better off going Lima-Sacred Valley-Machu Picchu-Cusco-Lake Titicaca-Arequipa-Colca Canyon, with Arequipa and Colca Canyon only being near the end for geography's sake.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

You can contact Rodrigo at info@urubamba.com

He is located in Urubamba and can arrange for all your travel requirements at reasonable costs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

The way poster #1 organized it is better for the altitude. Arequipa is not that high, but after that, you're doing the highest spots first. Colca Canyon is high. And you have to go over a very high pass to get there. If you spend a typical one day in Arequipa and then take a bus tour to Colca, you'll probably feel it going over the pass. Then you go a day or so later to Lake Titicaca, which is the highest spot on your itinerary. Better to start at the lower spots like the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.

If you love mountain views and mountain scenery, it'll be a wonderful trip. You don't have to do any extended hikes, but you will enjoy it more if you can walk a bit. To do Machu Picchu, you have to walk around for an hour or two and that involves going up and down stone steps. It is the mountains, but as long as you can walk up and down steps and walk for an hour, it should be fine. Most of the major Inca ruins are hillside sites and do have some ups and downs, but nothing like a long hike. The main site of Colca Canyon is to see the condors and that requires no walking. Cusco is a hilly city but you could also get a taxi or driver to take you around to minimize walking. Lake Titicaca was beautiful, but the prettiest part on the Peruvian side at least are the islands in the middle, like Taquile. And they're hilly. You get off a boat at shore level then could have a steep hike up into the town in the island, then a walk back down.

Peru is also an inexpensive country to visit. Machu Picchu is sort of expensive to visit, but other than that, you do not have to spend a fortune to be comfortable. We were staying in what I'd consider mid range hotels, not international brands, that would have cost $150-$250 a night in the USA. Think Hilton Garden Inn or Marriott Courtyard. But in Peru, I think the most we spent was $110 and several hotels were in the $60-$80 a night range.

If you want to hire an agency to arrange everything for you, that's fine. They make it easy. But it will cost more. Peru's a very tourist friendly country so you can save money and make the arrangements yourself. Hotels are happy to help with drivers and guides if you need one for a day.

los angeles
Level Contributor
818 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

I encourage you folks to visit this beautiful country. People are warm, great food and of course the sights.

My wife and I are in our late fifties and not getting any younger. So the longer we wait, the more difficult it is for us to travel. Here's our itinerary :

Day 1 10:55am Arrived in Lima - Transfer to Hotel Tierra Viva - free day.

Day 2 AM - City tour (lunch included). PM - 30km trip to the archaeological sight of Pachacamac.

Day 3 AM - Airport transfer - flight to Arequipa - transfer to Hotel La Gruta. PM - City Tour.

Day 4 AM - Free. PM - Bus tour Puno w/ touristic stops - Transfer to Hotel Conde de Lemos

Day 5 AM - Whole day boat trip to Lake Titicaca which includes visit to Uros & Taquile islands.

Day 6 7am - Bus to Cusco. visited Pukara, Raqchi, Church of Andahuaylillas. Hotel Rumi Punku.

Day 7 AM - Bus tour to Sacred Valley, Pisac & Urubamba. Hotel El Alberque @ Ollantaytambo.

Day 8 Free AM. PM - Train expedition to Aguas Callentes - Hotel Ruma Wasi - free evening.

Day 9 AM- bus ride to Machu Picchu. Also hiked Wayna Pichu !!! 3:20pm Vistadome Train back

to Cusco.

Day 10 - Whole day (shopping) at Cusco.

Day 11 - early morning flight to Lima - Los Angeles.

We decided to use an agency on this trip (will provide you name upon request) and it cost us $ 1470 each. The only thing not included is our plane ticket to and from Los Angeles and meals. Breakfast is included in all the hotels we stayed at.

Bonita Springs...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

Thank you all for your responses, it is amazing. God bless you all.

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

Lovefishing---I would be interested in knowing the name of the tour company that you used. Were the flights within Peru included in the price? If so, that sounds pretty reasonable.

I am looking for a shorter trip--5-6 days- to take before a cruise that leaves out of Lima. Our main goal is to see Machu Picchu but, of course, would include Lima, Sacred Valley (Urubamba, Ollantaytambo), Cusco and Machu Picchu-- not necessarily in that order. Would like a small group, no large than 12 people. Ideally, the tour would be all inclusive of being met at airport upon arrival in Lima and all the transportation involved on the tour.

Any suggestions for a tour company?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

It will be rushed to see all that in 6 days. Lima is one or two. MP is a full day. cusco and the Sacred Valley are two each if you don't want to be rushed or spend all your time on a tour bus. Plus there is travel time from Lima to Cusco and the SV.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

Highly recommend you do it LoveDoves. There is no real predictor of altitude sickness. On my recent trip we had a 24 year old athlete have to go to hospital while a 69 year old grandmother was absolutely fine. You won't know until you get there. If mobility is an issue, I highly recommend the Vistadome train Cusco - Machu Picchu.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

Oh and make sure you have travel insurance. Always!

los angeles
Level Contributor
818 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Undecided about Peru trip

LSOK,

Company name is Karikuy. Website is www.karikuy.org

Our trip was customized. Meaning we choose the cities & sites that we want to visit. Airfare, bus, train, boat and all airport transfers are included in the price. Also included are the entrance tickets to the sites.

We are budget travelers and we did compare their pricing with several tour companies. They were recommended by a friend and we were very satisfied with their services.