We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acclimitzing

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Acclimitzing

My husband and i will be going to MP/Cusco for 4 days. Which is the better place to start with in order to lessen breathing and other problems?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acclimitzing

A lot of people in the forum recommend spending the first night in the Sacred Valley (like Ollantaytambo) to lessen the ascent. Since you are only visiting for 4 days, you could spend the night there, go to MP the next day and then go to Cusco the remaining days. If your plans are not set in stone, I would recommend spending more days in total (at least 6-7).

Lots of threads about altitude sickness:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=818&geo=294311&scope=2&q=altitude+sickness&pid=34633&s=D

P.S. A bunch of people recommended the same here in your previous thread, did you see it?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294318-i3352-k774…

Edited: 25 August 2014, 20:46
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acclimitzing

It's possible but not really practical to get to MP on your first day. Fly to Cusco and go directly to a town in the Sacred Valley.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,435 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acclimitzing

You will find the better hotels in Urubamba. Its better to acclimatize at lower altitude than the 3400 meters of Cusco city, which you can visit after MP.

4. Re: Acclimitzing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:17