We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earliest time to buy tickets?

California City...
Level Contributor
146 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Earliest time to buy tickets?

Many people suggest the site http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ to buy tickets, but it seems they are only selling them for 2014, and we are trying to buy tickets for April or May 2015. Are there other reputable places?

Also, we'll be staying in Cusco and plan to take the train/bus to Machu (no hiking!!) We're planning one day at Machu Picchu. Are there tour guides you might recommend to arrange the trip and accompany us to Machu just for the day?? We see a lot of tour groups that offer 2, 3 and 4 day excursions, but we're mostly just interested in one day. And will a tour guide help us get there? For example, pick us up at the hotel and get us to the train, etc.

thank you !!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,528 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

I think you need to wait until January to buy 2015 tickets. Since you're not going until April or May, that's no problem.

If you pick a hotel, I am sure they can arrange a day trip to MP for you with tickets and a guide. We picked a hotel in Agua Calientes and they had a package that included train tickets, dinner, a private guide at the site, and bus tickets. Your hotel in Cusco can almost certainly do the same thing or just get you a taxi to the train station. We did it that way so we did not have to mess around with the wonky official website.

It's also not that

California City...
Level Contributor
146 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

Thank you Wes. Very helpful info. What hotel did you stay in Agua Calientes, and did you like it? Just wondering because our plans are not set in stone yet and we're open to staying a few night in AC instead of Cusco.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

I would recommend staying one night in AC

Cusco City has many places to visit and it would be a pity not to be there longer.

Visiting MP your first and second day I think it will be fine

Hope this helps you!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

We had same provlem, but are visiting early January. I contacted the official department who advises that tickets sales for 2015 will not come on sale until end of December 2015. Not a problem for you, but since we have to plan our trip, its certainly not ideal for us. Peru rail advises their ticket sales will be available end Sept

Lima, Peru
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

hi.one question. we are allready in Lima and forgot to book machu picchu entry tickets. we have the flight booked for tommorow, hotel in cusco, train to aguas callentes, everything except the tickets. can we still find some tickets over there or is our cause lost? thank you

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

minhea2: Call your hotel and ask them to book your Machu Picchu Tickets, usually they will do it for you, maybe an extra will be charged

On January 2014 I went to Cusco and arranged all my Machu Picchu Tour thru a travel agency on December 2013, they had my all my tickets when arriving in Cusco

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,528 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

@309teep

We stayed in Rupa Wasi in Agua Calientes and Hostal Iskay in Ollantaytambo. I wrote reviews on each one and would recommend them both. They both offered a variety of travel services. In Cusco, we stayed at Tierra Viva Saphi, which we also liked a lot. We did not use any tourist services there other than they arranged a few taxis for us.

8. Re: Earliest time to buy tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:17