We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weeklong Package tour to Lima/Machu Picchu

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Weeklong Package tour to Lima/Machu Picchu

Fellow Travelers:

My wife and I are in the initial stages of planning a trip to Peru in FEB 2015. We plan to see at least Lima, Cuzco, and of course Machu Pichu. We are hoping to get some feedback from the seasoned Peru subject matter experts here in order to get the most out of our adventure--

(1) Is one week sufficient to see the highlights of the locations listed above?

(2) I understand that February is right in the middle of the rainy season. Will this have any serious adverse affects on our itinerary (specifically in seeing Machu Pichu? I've also heard that the Inca Trail is closed the month of February. Can anyone confirm?

(3) If possible, we are looking for a package tour that features a good English speaking guide, small groups, coordinated transportation (rail/bus) and at least 3-4 star hotels (budget about $150-200) a night. Any recommendations for reputable tour/guide companies?

(4) We are also throwing around the idea of staying over night near Machu Pichu (i.e. Aquas Calientes) in order to maximize our experience at the ruins. Is this worth the time/price?

Any other general advice, recommendations, and feedback would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Bryan

United States
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weeklong Package tour to Lima/Machu Picchu

1) Yes

2) There are many steps in MP made from stones. If they are wet I can see that slips and falls could become an issue.

3) It is possible if the budget listed is per person.

4) The only way to get to MP is by rail. The only town that I consider 'near' MP is Aquas Calientes and the next nearest is about 90 min. by train away. A day trip (not staying in Aquas Calientes overnight) is possible but I would rather stay 1 night in Aquas Calientes and tour MP at a more relaxed pace.

2. Re: Weeklong Package tour to Lima/Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 06:16