We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail Conditions - Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trail Conditions - Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca

Hello,

On February 16, 2013, I tried hiking from Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca. Locals had warned me to take the road as far as Munaypata, because both the trail and the road had experienced washouts but the road had been adequately repaired to this point.

At Munaypata, I headed up the hill at pole 2224 toward Media Luna, then followed the trail to the right as it sort of contoured around the hillside.

As the trail approached what sounded like the first creek, I encountered a washout. There was no water in the channel, though, and a secondary trail above it, so I suspect it was an old washout rather than a new one.

I thought about scrambling the washout. but at this point it started to rain pretty hard (making me consider the possibility of getting cut off by rising creeks or new washouts). There was also a group of oddly assertive horses discouraging me from the secondary trail. Since I was hiking alone, with only my hostal keepers having any idea where I was, I decided to cut my losses and turn back.

Anyhoo, two goals to the post:

1. to report trail conditions

2. to see if anyone who knows the area better knows if this was an old washout that is easily navigated around, or if it's a newer one

Thanks. :)

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail Conditions - Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca

Hi thanks for the post - I was considering heading that way pretty soon as it's been years since I last went. I may wait until the dry season starts before I head there based on your report.

There were some very heavy rains in the Ollantaytambo area with localised flooding so it may well be a recent landslide.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail Conditions - Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca

This season it has been raining pretty hard.

It must be a new washout.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trail Conditions - Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca

Thanks. Just as well to let other hikers know, then.

Enjoyable walk, even if I didn't end up going anywhere in particular. :)

4. Re: Trail Conditions - Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 06:16