We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Templeton...
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

I noticed some earlier discussions regarding purchasing tickets for Machu Picchu in advance and the problems with the website for doing that. My question is if it's really neccessary to purchase tickets in advance. I will be visiting the area in early May.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

it's not necessary, because early May is not hight season. check the availability at www.machupicchu.gob.pe this is the official site.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

Hi, what about 29th May? On website is still over 2400 tickets available but I bought already train tickets for that day. I would buy it trough the website but I need student tickets as well. What is your advise?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

If you've got a specific day and have no flexibility, why not buy the MP tickets now? What's the harm? If you can't get them through the official website, ask your hotel, or another agent in Peru, to buy them for you. You'll pay a little more, but it will be pretty minor compared to the cost of the trip.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

I even would not buy tickets in June or July

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

When we went to Machu Picchu last month, we were not able to buy our tickets on the website listed above. Two different hotels in 2 different cities recommended Agnes Moes at Responsible Travel (cuzco@responsibletravelperu.com). They charge a 30 soles/ticket fee, but it was worth it to know we'd have our tickets; she even delivered them to our hotel when we arrived in Cusco. Additionally, we asked her about transportation from Ollantaytambo to Cusco with stops in Pisac for the market & ruins. She arranged an excellent driver for us at a reasonable price. I would think she can also purchase the student tickets.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
242 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

I purchased 4 tickets the other day online for mid-May - The site is not terrible if you know Spanish. And the customer service is surprisingly efficient - After I printed out the form I noticed a mistake, called the next day and the phone agent corrected it. Bought full price tickets for our student sons because I was afraid the HP tickets would run out and I couldn't reach the boys to find out if they have intl. IDs. (the site said you need these for the discount - do regular American IDs work?)

Now my dilemma is train tickets. There seems to be a lot of availability for our days and I'm not sure what times will work best. Can they be changed once you buy them?

Edited: 21 April 2013, 15:35
Templeton...
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

Thanks for the posts regarding my question. Since I knew the date of our visit, I attempted to purchase tickets on the website without success so went through Responsible Travel and secured our tickets in short order. The website showed a lot of availability for Machu Picchu but very little availability for Huayna Picchu.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

If you take the Hiram Bingham luxury train the booking claims to include the cost of admittance to MP. That saves having to book one more thing online and trust it fits in with everything else, so I hope it's right.

9. Re: Is it neccessary to purchase Machu Picchu tickets in advance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:20