We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for guides/ tours in Urubamba

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for guides/ tours in Urubamba

Will be in the Sacred Valley from May 4-7, going to Aguas Callentes from 5/7-8 and then Cusco from 5/8-10. What are the prices range for guides/ tours? Is this something we can arrange once we arrive? Will be staying at Tambo del Inka in Urubama, El MaPi in Aguas Callentes and Novotel in Cusco. Suggestions on guides/ tour operators greatly appreciated.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for guides/ tours in Urubamba

I spent several days in the Sacred Valley earlier this spring and cannot say enough good things about Sofia Barreda (sofiabarreda@gmail.com). She and her team were absolute saints and were so incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. In short, a delayed flight out of Boston turned our 16 hour travel to Peru into 44 hours. With limited email/phone access, Sofia hung with us. Exhausted upon arrival, we could only hope that our ride was there. When we got to Cuzco, her driver met us with a sign and a quick transfer to Urubamba.

With the Sacred Valley leg of the trip shortened by one day, we needed to cancel one day of plans with her and again, she was gracious and understanding.

We did work with her guide David on one day (in addition to the driver) and he was so informed as we toured ruins, ate (fantastic) local food, saw the marketplace and basically ran out of time as we continued to pile requests of things to do, see, and experience.

I don't recall how much we paid, but I know it was well below the rates provided by our hotel. We had previously booked Machu Picchu through the hotel service or else I would have booked with Sofia as well.

She was responsive, attentive, punctual and very knowledgeable. I would absolutely work with her and her team again and recommend her to anyone traveling to the greater Sacred Valley region.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for guides/ tours in Urubamba

I always recommend her on this forum.

Thanks for your positive input.

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for guides/ tours in Urubamba

For tours in Cusco contact nellisun7@aol.com

4. Re: Recommendations for guides/ tours in Urubamba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 23:17