We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru rail trauma

Which Urubamba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peru rail trauma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2013, 21:42
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru rail trauma

From the Peru Rail Website:

BY TELEPHONE:

Can you buy tickets by telephone?

Currently you can purchase tickets by phone, providing your credit card number. Our number is +511-084-581414.

Hope this helps you!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru rail trauma

First of all your VISA needs to be able to participate in the "Verified by Visa" program. Some banks which issue VISA credit cards do not participate in the program for whatever reason. If your bank does indeed participate then you need to sign up your card onlne at the Verified By Visa website.

https:/…index.jsp

I had similar problems booking tickets online when I was planning my trip but after my card got "Verified" everything went smoothly. I cant speak with regards to M/C but Im sure its the same sort of scenario.

CA
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru rail trauma

I was similarly frantic with this problem about a month ago my bank (BofA) did not participate in the Verified, and has their own security program so I was unable to register my cards through the Verified by visa site. Calling Perurail was by far the easiest way to take care of the reservations and to put my mind at ease. (They also speak English if you are uncomfortable doing this in Spanish.) they will ask you for the basic info and then you will need to submit a photo copy of documents such as credit card and id--which you can either scan or fax...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru rail trauma

We faced the same problem but within 1 day we received an e- mail from Peru rail confirming our ticket. They asked for some other documents like passport, visa card photocopy etc. to complete the transaction. As soon as we had sent them the scanned copy they sent us back the actual tickets by e-mail.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru rail trauma

Dear Vicol,

Thank you for choosing PeruRail to travel to Machu Picchu, and we are sorry for the inconvenience when you try to buy online tickets. Please e-mail us at: reservas at perurail.com so we can assist you.

Regards,

Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru rail trauma

you can also buy through a travel agent...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru rail trauma

If you going in the low season - ie not between June and September, getting rail tickets is no problem - you can purchase them at any travel agent in Peru or Peru Rail offices in the cities.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
419 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru rail trauma

You'd think they'd make it easier for people to give them their money. I don't understand it; it reminds me of buying tickets online for the Vienna Opera.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peru rail trauma

This is not necessarily PeruRail's fault but rather a problem of the banks in one or the other country.

You might also try an American Express Card if you have one.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peru rail trauma

Just a few years ago, you could make a reservation online, but it couldn't be paid or finalized until you went to the train station in Cusco to pay in person -- with cash only. So, it is progress that many people are actually able to book & pay for their tickets online -- most of the time.