We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Does anyone have experience with a one-day trek to Machu Picchu starting (I think) at about 104 km? Also, does anyone have a sense of how rainy that would be in March (and is the rain tolerable). I have seen some mention of 6 hour hike - is that estimate about right (we are a family of four, all experienced hikers, but apt to be a bit tired on the day we make the trip.)

Also - will we likely want to spend a second day at Machu Picchu? And is it feasible to go all the way back to Ollontaytambo and then back again to Machu Picchu the second day?

Any insights or recommendations are much appreciated, including local tour company for such a trip.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Hi,

Rain: no way of telling, you get dry sunny days in March, very rainy days and mixed days.

6 hours about right,

If you want to spend a second day in MP, just spend the night in Aguas Calientes, it would be time consuming and costly going out to Ollantaytambo. If you want to stay in Ollantaytambo and also have a bit of a lie in on the day of your walk, then stay the night before there, meaning you just wonder down to the train station in the morning to get the train to about 45 km to KM104

You mention being a bit tired...... everything is obviously easier when you are not tired, you should not really have any altitude worries as the trek does not go that high. But it is the sort of thing that makes you go wow and overcome tiredness.

If you are talking about this March, best check out availability soon, not sure if there are still permits or not, my guess would be that there are not

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Thank you!! I think we will take our chances on the weather and simply do it - nothing that some adequate rain gear can't solve - and we are no strangers to hiking in the rain. I found a web site that seems to say how many permits are still available for the Inka Trail, and it appears some March days might still be open - so I will give it a try. And a google search revealed several trekking companies that arrange the 1-day trip.

New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Would you please, disclose companies that offer one day trekking ?

I will be very much interested.

Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

I just found one reference so far - it's a one day trek, but a two-day trip with an overnight in Aguas Caliente - I don't know if they willaccommodate a trek only with no overnight - I was thinking of returning to Ollantaytambo after the hike, without staying over. I have done no research on this and don't know the reputation of this site/company - just one I found with a google search. I was also going to try the South American Explorers Club for recommendations/ideas - you might want to try them, too.

But here is the site that I found that got me thinking about the one-day hike (I don't think I would want to do 4 days in the rain, and March is the only time I can travel).

www.inca-trail.com.pe/trek/index.php?lg=en

New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Thanks Ilama;

One day trekking is an option I am looking for. I'm afraid that standard 3 nights / 4 days will be to difficult for me.

I was searching for the agencies offering one day trekking but really limited choices out there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

I'll let you know if I find anything - and visa versa

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Almost all companies offer a short version of the Inca Trail, it's not listed as One day but 2-day Inca Trail (when in fact, it's just as you described it, only one day of hiking on the Inca Trail).

The official website that shows availability is www.machupicchu.gob.pe

It does not belong to any tour agency, but to the local cultural office in Cusco, a branch of the Ministry of Culture.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

I had not noticed the Inka Trail tab earlier (as Camino Inka) on this site - wow, what a huge list of approved agencies - I suspect one, at least, will be able to accomodate - especially given that there is plenty of availability in most of March! THANK YOU!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

Many of the agencies that offer the 4-day trek also offer the 2-day trek (that is what it is called, even though there is only 1 day trekking).

Check out some of the agencies often recommended on this forum: Llama Path (we used for the 4-day & thought they were great), also Q'ente, Pachamama Explorers, Yuri Chavez' Peru Trek 4 Good.

llama 100, one of the reasons to stay over in Aguas Calientes with the 2-day trek is that you arrive at Machu Picchu late in the day on that first day -- not enough time to tour the site. The second day, you will have a tour of Machu Picchu & time to wander, followed by a later train ride back to Ollantaytambo or Cusco.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 00:50
10. Re: One Day Machu Picchu Trek - March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:29