We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

Which Urubamba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

I'm plannign to visit Machu Picchu this April.

Should I go with the Inca Trail or can I use an alternative path such as Salkantay ? I've been told is also very beautiful, there are 4 days tours for the later.

Also, If I choose the latest one, should I book in advance ? I've been told I can just do everything from Cusco 2 days before.

thanks

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

Any route other than the Inca trail can be easily booked a few days in advance here in Cusco, most companies only need a day or two of notice. If you havent already chosen a company I like working with Viajes Cusco, their website is

http://www.cuscoperuviajes.com/en/

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

Any trek that includes the Trail to MP via the Sun Gate,has to be booked way in advance, do not be fooled.

Booking two days in advance would be for a trek that probably ends in Aguas Calientes or similar, but not in MP.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

@xochiti What about Salkantay ?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

All the Itineraries I have seen for Salkantay treks end in AC. In short if they end at the Sun Gate, that are on the Inca Trail and have a limited number of slots available, thus you pay a premium and have to book in advance.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

If I chose Salkantay rather than the inca Trail, am I going to lose a lot ?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

From what I hear they are both something to see, unfortunately I have not done either of these treks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

PatrickDiviacco whether you think you will lose something from the experience by not hiking the "Inca Trail' is a personal thing.

For some people hiking in the area to see the surroundings and other Inca ruins can be satisfying but all other treks that do not require the special Inca Trail permits will have you arriving at MP via the bus from AC as already pointed out.

For me personally I wanted to arrive at MP via the Sun Gate so I did the classic 4 day hike. For me seeing MP, after a hard 4 day walk, appear out of the clouds as I walked through the Sun Gates made it all the more special for me. You have to weigh up the options yourself and arrive at your own conclusion.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

OK. Just a quick question: if the Sun Gate is this one:

lost-civilizations.net/pre-inca-civilization…

What's so special about it ?

In conclusion I'm thinking to go for the Salcantay trail, and then arrive to MP by bus. After a research on the web, I've understood this is a very good trip, which is spectacular as well as the Inca Trail

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

That is not the sun gate. It is from a different site.

The sun gate gives you the classical view down to MP like the original incas would see after the long trek. It is a fantastic view after the trail.

However, You can also walk up to the sun gate from MP site (as well as other worthwhile walks, including huayna picchu) so you don't necessarily need to miss this.

It's just that you will arrive MP from below if you come from AC, rather than from above.

Edited: 24 December 2012, 20:17
10. Re: Macchu Picchu: inka trail, or other paths? booking ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:15