We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Which Urubamba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Fellow Tripadvisors - need some help; my husband and I are planning a trip in mid-October arriving in Cusco via LAN and are planning on staying 1 night in Urubamba; then back to Cusco for 5-days; then 3 days (2 nights in Machu Picchu) - what's the best way to get between these destinations? Especially from Cusco to Urubamba and back to Cusco? We're not the "tour company" type of travelers and are doing much of this on our own & with "points" for hotels in Cusco and the air. Thanks in advance for any assistance & input.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Hire a taxi. Off the street should run you about $20-$30 each way.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
51 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Logistically, If it is any help it might be better to arrange to go to Urubamba, then take the train from Ollanta to Machu Picchu, then go to Cusco (the easiest and fastest way is to get a train back to Ollanta then go by taxi to Cusco). The Sacred Valley is closer to Urubamba and you will have more time to acclimatize in Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu before staying in Cusco which is at a higher elevation.

Your hotels can always set up private transfers easily but cheapest way is to go by taxi. We were recommended Alo Urubamba but they want payment in advance which will increase the price due to international wire transfer fees. I think you can call them or get in touch when you arrive. Their prices are reasonable.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 01:40
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Thanks so much! We'll take your suggestion and see about getting in touch with the taxi company you recommended. Happy travels!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
51 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

This is the contact info, I verified with my hotel that it is legit.

Blanca Quispe Castro

Dpto. Reservas

Telf. : 084-639393

RPC : 984-110615 (24 horas)

RPM : #852587 (24 horas)

E-mail: reservas@alo-urubamba.com

Alo Urubamba

INVERSIONES OTANI S.A.C.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

You can also go between 4 and 10 soles by bus, by minibus or by collectıve taxı. All of those leave from the same area ın Cusco.

7. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 22:05
potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

We are also traveling to Cusco around October 26th-30th and its me and my husband and i would like to know if we can rent a car or should we use a bus/taxi??? We would like to visit Cusco, Sacred Valley and MP. I was planning to stay in Cusco but after reading posts on Tripadvisor I am thinking its better to go to Sacred valley first and then MP and end the trip in Cusco. Any suggestions as which city to spend the night in sacred valley??? how many nights in each place , we get to Cusco around 2 pm on Saturday, any suggestions will be helpful

Morgantown, West...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

I highly recommend staying in Pisac for one night then moving onto to Olly for a second night then train to AC.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Cheapist is by bus. Lots of them. Yes, it is safe.