We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Fellow Tripadvisors - need some help; my husband and I are planning a trip in mid-October arriving in Cusco via LAN and are planning on staying 1 night in Urubamba; then back to Cusco for 5-days; then 3 days (2 nights in Machu Picchu) - what's the best way to get between these destinations? Especially from Cusco to Urubamba and back to Cusco? We're not the "tour company" type of travelers and are doing much of this on our own & with "points" for hotels in Cusco and the air. Thanks in advance for any assistance & input.

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Thanks so much to both, picchu56 I see you are from Morgantown, I went to WVA and am a proud Mountaineer :))))). Also could you please let me know why are you recommendating Pisac over the other towns??? Thanks so much

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Hi. I am about to go to Peru to MP. What did you end up doing I'm terms of some place to stay. Did you end up staying in the sacred valley?

13. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 13:41
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Carrying your bags at high altitude to leave the airport and save a couple of dollars is not a very good idea, specially if you do not even speak the language. Remember that taxis in Peru are nit all official and you risk catching the wrong one.

Taxis in general are cheap by world standards and unless you are a backpacker I would not recommend to do as suggested on the other entry.

Staying a night at the Sacred Valley to then go back to Cusco city and return again to Sacred Valley to visit MP makes no sense at all.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Yes, go first to the Sacred Valley - Urubamba or Ollantaytambo, stay a day or two there & visit the sites, then take the train to Machu Picchu. Return again to Ollantaytambo & take a taxi to Cusco. No need to go back & forth to/from Cusco. Both the Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu are quite a bit lower in altitude than Cusco but high enough to help acclimatize to the higher altitude of Cusco when you get there a few days later.

Taxis are quite inexpensive in Peru. Do no rent a car - very expensive & not easy to negotiate the roads if you don't know where the potholes & speed bumps are. Plus, where would you park it while doing to Machu Picchu? (Plus you would be paying for it every day while there.) Much better to hire a driver for the day or part of the day. Add a guide as you wish, or you can often hire guides at sites.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Are all taxis ok, or do you need to look for a designation so you are assured that it is ok?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Whenever we needed one, we had our hotel call a taxi for us or send one to meet us.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
25 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Help, we're confused and lost. Four of us a planning a trip for Mid October and will be coming from the Galapagos to Lima (3 or 4 nights) to Cusco (3 nights) to Urubamba or Ollantaytambo (2 nights) to MP (2 nights), back to Cusco for a night before flying back to USA. From reading the above I'm thinking we are a bit lost. Can somebody tell me what a logical routing would be and how to best get between the different locations? Other suggestions on stop overs would be greatly appreciated as well. Is there a town at MP or do you have to go to Aguas Calientes and stay there?

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

Definitely stay first in the Sacred Valley - it's 2000 ft lower than Cusco so acclimatising is easier. To get to Urubamba (in the Sacred Valley) take a taxi from the airport to Pavitos - this is the street where the mini-vans and taxis to Urubamba leave from - the taxi from the airport should cost no more than 10 soles (about $3.50).

The mini-vans and taxis leave when they are full - each costs about 7 soles (just over $2) per person and the journey takes about 1hr 15 mins. You might pay extra if you have lots of luggage. Better still take a taxi to yourself - you'll pay about 30 soles ($10) - but you can make him drive slowly - this is very important because otherwise he will drive like a maniac !! Taxi drivers in Peru are as bad as they get ....

Keep your eyes open after you pass through Chinchero (after about 1/2 an hour) - the scenery from then on in is spectacular...

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travel from Cusco to Urubamba?

swd2015 - Just wondering why you suggested taking a taxi from airport to Pavitos then another taxi from Pavitos to Urubamba? Will it be different if we just took one taxi from airport to Urubamba? Do you know how much it will cost?