We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if we stay in the KR how do we get train to MP the next day?

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
if we stay in the KR how do we get train to MP the next day?

I'm arriving in Cuzco on Sep 26, staying in the Libertador on the night of 26 Sep, and (presumably) taking the train to MP where we have a reservation in the MP sanctuary Lodge on the night of 28 September.

So I was considering staying in the KR on the night of 27 September to experience some more 'local' experience in the sacred valley.

Does anyone know how one gets a train resevation for getting onto the train in Urubamba, and can you book the 'normal' train over the web as if you were leaving from Cuzco?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if we stay in the KR how do we get train to MP the next day?

If you make a reservation at the KR Claudia can make the train reservations for you and purchase the train tickets. She had the tickets waiting for us when we got there. That made life much easier for us. You can do it over the web also.

I suggest taking the Vistadome train rather than the backpacker since it's more comfortable and has more windows. I'm not sure where you can put luggage since there isn't a lot of space on the train. You should probably check with someone at Peru rail about that. We left most of our luggage at KR and returned there after we visited MP.

I strongly advise taking the MP train from Ollantaytambo rather than Urubamba. It's about a half hour drive from Urubamba to Ollantaytambo, but a 1 hr train ride! The train creeps along that part of the track because people and animals are on the track. I suggest getting on and off the train at Ollantaytambo and taking a taxi to and from Urubamba. Claudia can also arrange the taxis. Ollantaytambo is a neat town so you might want to take some time to walk around there.

Enjoy!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if we stay in the KR how do we get train to MP the next day?

Better ensure you will find space at the KR as soon as possible.

As Rashi says, Claudia will help you to get the MP train tickets. It saves you a lot of hazzle and a few queing hrs.

3. Re: if we stay in the KR how do we get train to MP the next day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 18:19