We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

Houston
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

Is it crazy to start putting together a trip to Machu Pichu for late Sept and that area, now (August 22)? We have the air portion nailed down. But will the hotels all be full?

Byron Bay
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

We are leaving this weekend and only finalised our hotel bookings two weeks ago. We did this thru an agent so you should be fine. Either start sending off some emails or let an agent do the hard work for you. I enquired to a lot of hotels first and got prices but the agent got us better deals and also included transfers etc. The agent gave us a list of hotels they deal with and we picked 1st 2nd 3rd choice for each one in each town including MP.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

It's not crazy, it will just be intense and keep you busy for a while.

I spent about three months putting our Aug. Peru trip together without the help of an agent. I followed a lot of the suggestions from fellow travelers on TripAdvisor and Xochitl. Both were wonderful.

Either way (agent or not) I suggest you start making the reservations now so that you don't spend your time looking for places while in Peru.

If you stay at the KR in Urubamba Claudia can make the train reservations to MP and get you hotel reservations in Aguas Calientes (now called Machu Picchu town). She saved me a lot of work and time.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

I agree with Rashi, anyway, its a lot of fun to plan in advance and investigate the different alternatives offered.

Just ask yr questions and I will help you as much as possible.

Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

Make sure about train reservations. I booked my train from Cusco to Machu Picchu back in February for my upcoming trip in September. And at that time, the Vistadome 1 was already full and I had to get on the Vistadome 2.

Houston
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

Thank you to all who responded! I've never tried posting a question like this before -- I had no idea I would see responses so soon -- and such well thought out ones! We have gotten alot of our hotels set up .We found that when we called instead of using email or website reservation sites we had much better luck. I agree, it is fun researching it all and piecing it together. Thanks again to all. AnnieRoonie

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

This response may be too late (if you're already gone) ... but you shouldn't have any problem finding hotels. It may depend some on what you are looking for (i.e. luxury,) but I just got back from Peru on Sept 10th, and had no problem getting good lodging throughout the Sacred Valley & Cuzco w/o reservations. Additionally, this is the end of the dry season, so things should be tailing off from here. Have a great trip!

Washington state
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

I had trouble making train reservations for Machu Picchu also. After repeated e-mails (every few days) and no response, I tried calling-after connecting with someone who spoke English, I was referred to the website. I then had a friend who speaks Spanish call and she was assured that sending an e-mail was best. No response to her e-mail either-two weeks went by. I finally called a travel agent that works out of Lima. She was able to book the tickets I needed on my preferred train time without a problem. Thank you, Isobelle. Maybe some of the travel companies have purchased a group of seats?

Have fun planning. We will be leaving Sept 16. I'll report in on our return.

Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

That's interesting. I had no problem getting e-mails for the Machu Picchu train. I even e-mailed recently to reconfirm and got an e-mail the next day. My only issue was that my preferred train was already completely full 7 months in advance.

Did you use this e-mail reservas@perurail.com

Also I used the online booking request and that worked just fine.

Washington state
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

Yes, I did what you did and received no response. I wonder why the difference? My friend got no reply either. Anyway, I am glad the travel agent could help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late Sept trip to Machu Pichu & Area

Hello again to all in this forum, back again to start the final details for our trip starting March next year including our visits to Lima, Cusco & MP from the 24th on. I have been monitoring your views - which are great, and

xochitl

It's great to see you in here assisting as always - can you suggest an agent in Cusco that will help with the trains? should i decide that's the best way

travelcat176

did you find the cost for the train were similar? to those you had priced on the web/email

can you provide the agent's details just incase

thanks to all

ausnomad