We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to MVD or Colonia??

Which Montevideo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to MVD or Colonia??

We will be arriving in Montevideo Airport from BA in late May at approximately at 6 pm . should we pick up a rental car at the airport and drive to Colonia - we think it is a 2 hour drive or head to Montevideo and spend a day or two there first. If so is there a bus we can take ( and what is the fare ) or should we still plan on picking up a rental car.

Any information would be much appreciated , thanks .

Montevideo
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

I understand that arrived from Buenos Aires to Montevideo and up, then go to Cologne. You can do this by bus, it's easy to leave the airport to Montevideo Carrasco, because you have direct buses to Montevideo.

And from Florida go to Cologne on buses, the fare by bus to Colonia is about aprox. $ 14.

It is not what your Itinerary, but I still you leave Buenos Aires by ferry to Cologne and then take bus to Montevideo.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

The itinerary you describe is not practical, since you can save so much time and money by going directly from BsAs to Colonia by ferry (1 hour) seesight, spend a night or continue by bus or rented car to Montevideo.

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

Thank you for your advice, since the ferry ride is described as very rocky and we get seasick we decided to fly and unfortunately already booked the flight. We are actually travelling in from Iguazu which was another factor in our decision to fly and not take the ferry.

So once again do you recommend that we pick up a rental car at the airport and go to Colonia, we would spend a day there and then explore wine country. We want to end our trip in Montevideo and then drive to the airport. What do you think? Thanks !

Montevideo
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

So ideally emerge from the airport direct to Colonia, and travel the country in the sense of clockwise and then finish in Montevideo.

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

Thank you for your help.

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

Spend time in Montevideo first. You can see Colonia in half a day on foot!!

A taxi from the airport into MVD will cost between UYU500 and UYU700 depending where you stay. There is also a bus that will take you downtown then you could get a taxi to your accommodation.

You get a better exchange rate down town than at the airport although you will need money for the taxi/bus.

From memory, the bus cost approx UYU170. Make sure you get the one that only stops a couple of times. There are two companies from what I could see and the fares were the same.

There is a tourist information when you come into the bus station, they will point you in the right direction.

I would question whether you really need a rent-a-car.

Some of the architecture was amazing and the new around the old was also amazing.

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

Thank you, great information I knew Colonia was small I guess I ddn't realize quite how small.

I'm not so sure about a rental car I am still weighing my options. am excited about my first venture into Uruguay !

Montevideo
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

If you want to know more about Uruguay, you can see a blog from a friend of Califonia who visited our country ...movingmontevideo.blogspot.com

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

Thanks the blog was interesting

10. Re: Airport to MVD or Colonia??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 03:18