We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare to Montevideo???

Which Montevideo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare to Montevideo???

Does anyone know of way to get cheaper airfare prices to get to Uruguay? I've got some friends to stay with there, but really can't afford to drop $2,000 per ticket for my wife and I. We are looking at going in Feb, 2012, possibly March depending on the price. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,748 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

$2,000 sounds like a little too much. If I recall correctly, my daughter bought hers from San Francisco for about $1,500 for December 2010. Surely, oil prices have gone up. A ticket from Minnesota is prone to be expensive one way or the other. Best fares are usually out of New York or Miami.

If I were you, I'd wait till it comes down to at least $1,500 per ticket. You can sign for fare updates on kayak.com. A site to check that we found somewhat less expensive fares at some point was despegar.com.

The alternative is to wait till April-May. Fares go down until mid June I believe, or go in September-November -- also low season. Weather is no ideal, but it works for me.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

I did notice that the fares do go down during the off season but since we live in Minnesota we were hoping to leave the winter here for the summer there. I will keep an eye on prices but I was told by my friends that they pay of fraction of that price to fly from there to the US.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,748 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

That's interesting. When I purchased tickets from my family members to come to the US (when I used to live there), it was always more expensive than flying from the US to MVD. Ticket prices have gone up a lot recently.

Anyway, if you have a Windows PC, another way I found useful to get fare updates (if you don't mind traveling in American Airlines) is to install the AA dealfinder.

Silvia

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

That sounds correct at the present time. Last year, the tickets from Miami to MVD were around $800 R/T but they have steadily crept up to the present prices. It is a bit less expensive to fly in the the off season to MVD. Present costs a primarily due to the cost of fuel and the fact that AA is the only carrier servicing MVD directly,

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

I am also researching flight costs but for January/12

we are snowbirds and could depart from Boston or Florida. My research shows a departure from Orlando=MCO could be for less then US$ 1000,--

I use skyscanner.com or vayama.com

success Gerry

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

Thanks Gerry!!! I will take a look at those sites and try and figure something out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

You could also try lan.com, which is formerly known as LanChile. We have flown with Lan a few times to MVD and the service was very good, even the food was not bad at all. Suerte,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

You could also try lan.com, formerly LanChile. I have flown with LAN to MVD a few times and found the service to be quite good, including the food!

Good Luck.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

As far as I Know, the cheapest airfare from U.S.A. to Uruguay is PLUNA, flying from Miami to Montevideo. The only problems, they use a 737 and Bombardier equipment and are not punctual at all.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,748 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare to Montevideo???

Wow! It's a very long trip to do in a 737. My first flight from MVD to the US back in 1977 was in a jumbo jet. I only few a 737 back in the day when Lan was using them for their long hauls with 2-3 stops.

Anyway, I just checked on Pluna's website out of curiosity and they don't seem to be flying from Miami. They have a code share flight with American Airlines, three weeks in October, $1,591 with taxes. Not particularly cheap!

Silvia