We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY

ARRIVE 7:00AM DEPART 5:00PM

via cruise

what do the locals think of this excursion below? can this be done at a lower cost, how and for how much? since i will be with a total group of 4 and $880 seems very expensive.

Estancia La Rabida & City Drive $220 Taste the iconic "gaucho" life with this full-day visit to a 100-year-old estancia. Tour the ranch by horse-drawn carriage or antique automobile. Try your hand at sheep shearing. Witness a demonstration of gaucho horsemanship. Indulge in a traditional barbeque and local wine as you enjoy gaucho dances and folk music

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

It’s kitschy and corny—and far too expensive. I did something similar several years ago in Uruguay and was profoundly disappointed.

You’ll have a much richer experience, I’m sure, if you spend those hours in wonderful Montevideo on your own.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,139 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

Totally agree with MonteCD. Save your money. Live in Uruguay is quite expensive -- pretty much US prices, but honestly, $880 for a tour for four people even including lunch and entertainment is outrageous.

You're asking for the opinion of locals. I'm not a local since I've been abroad for over 30 years, but was born and raised in Montevideo. So here is what I would recommend you do:

Get off the ship in the morning, and take a cab to Pocitos, walk down on the Rambla (kind of a board walk, for lack of a better word to translate it).

Take a cab back to the Old City, and get off at Teatro Solis (go in, it's worth it). Check the schedule here (you may find a free performance at noon): www.teatrosolis.org.uy/hnnoticia.cgi…

Walk half a block from Teatro Solis to Calle Sarand for a walk and if it is a Saturday morning you're likely to be treated to free entertainment along calle Sarandi and on Plaza Constitucion (you'll see it as you walk down Sarandi). The Cathedral and the Cabildo are on opposite sides of the Plaza if you were interested in seeing them.

Continue walking (or take a cab) on calle Sarandi, turn right on Perez Castellano to go to Mercado del Puerto (about 10 blocks) for a late lunch. On your way out, stop next door to Mercado del Puerto to see the Museo del Carnaval.

You'll be right in front of the port to return to your cruise ship.

Silvia

PS: It'll be great if you could get a map, but if you can't, you may find one on line like this one: hotelesmontevideo.com/imagenes/mapas/montevi…

Edited: 18 November 2011, 04:06
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,139 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

Oops! I meant to add that at Mercado del Puerto you get a great asado just like you would have had in the tour.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

wow thanks for the detailed things to do list.

i do know that cruises overcharges.

i will do what u suggested

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
608 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

If you have more than a few hours maybe you could consider that kind of tour , La Rabida is a nice place but not real gaucho life.... disney gaucho maybe

Stroll through montevideo streets, see the rambla and 18 de julio, enjoy mercado del puerto. Buy a Onetti book or Benedetti there you ve got the scenery

Follow expat in cabaret advice.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

Hi, Silvia,

We will be in Montevideo on Jan. 24 for one day. Arriving on Holland America 8 am to 6 pm.

I have the same dilema (sp) should we try to book a tour or just walk the area. We'll never have another opportunity to see Uruagy so would like to use our time well.

I understand sometimes taxis wait outside the ship dock area with tour signs. Is there anything we should go see that is too hard to walk to?

I agree the ship tours are way too expensive. Besides you are probably in a herd of people. How about a guide for the day from the city or should we just do it on our own? Thanks for your help. We much appreciate. Betty

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,139 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

Hi Betty,

You are arriving pretty early in the morning so I suggest the same as I did in my previous post.

A guide for the day is not a bad idea though but pick the places you want to visit. You don't want to miss lunch at Mercado del Puerto (across the street from the port where your ship will be), or a stroll through the Old City also in the same area and within walking distance.

If you can get a guide to drive through the beaches in town, starting in Barrio Sur trough Carrasco along the coast, that will be great. Maybe include a visit to Palacio Legislativo, and if you're a soccer fan, visit the Museum of Soccer. Check this site for other ideas:

http://uruguaynow.com/

Silvia

Edited: 12 December 2011, 04:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

Sounds good advice, thank you. Is there a hop on/hop off tour bus?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

Hello Betty, we are on the same cruise and like you plan to do our own thing in Montevideo so may meet you during the day.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: local opinion on cruise excursion jan 2012

thanks a lot, Silvial

I'm taking your advice. What do you know about tours around Ushaisha? (sp) I need to do the same thing there. Betty