We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montevideo late November

Tulsa
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Montevideo late November

Planning a vaction with wife to Uruguay last 10 days of November. Initially staying at Holiday Inn in Montevideo. How close to a beach area is this hotel? . Non Spanish speaking...will it be difficult to get around? Recommend renting a car or take buses / taxi's to see the sights. Understand Punta is 1.5 hour away. What is it like in late November? Any things to do for mid 50's couple. Other things that should be seen / done in Uruguay. Will likely take ferry to BA for a day or two. Been there before. Any ideas suggestions etc.

Thanks.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,388 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montevideo late November

if you are staying in Holiday Inn Montevideo, it is downtown and not close to the beach. You will be very close to the Old City, great for walking around and sight seeing, during day time.

Here is a good guide in PDF format from the local government:

montevideo.gub.uy/sites/default/files/articu…

Weather permitting (not yet summer at the enf of November), you can get to the beach easily by bus. There are many buses in the area of Holiday Inn Montevideo that will take you to Pocitos and beyond.

Ten days may be too long for you to stay in Montevideo. You should rent a car and drive along the coast even past Punta del Este. If you get warm weather great, but if not, it is still quite a beautiful ride.

If you haven't been to Colonia del Sacramento, you can drive up (or take a bus) to spend the day there before taking the boat to Buenos Aires.

Silvia

PS: you should be fine in Montevideo with no Spanish but it could get a bit challenging if you stop in non tourist places.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montevideo late November

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Montevideo and found it to be an ideal place from which to begin a walking tour of the downtown (Centro) district. As Silvia mentioned, it is very close to the Old City, and it's a ten-minute stroll to Plaza Fabini, widely considered to be the most beautiful park in Uruguay’s capital.

The park, which is sometimes referred to as the Plaza del Entrevero because of the famous sculpture in the center of the square, is also noted for its impromptu tango dancing. If your wife likes to dance, by all means take her there. Both of you I’m sure will enjoy the experience.

Panorama of Plaza Fabini:

http://bit.ly/o2ro4g

Videos—Tango in Plaza Fabini:

http://bit.ly/nrwKZV

http://bit.ly/r39Ufu

Tulsa
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montevideo late November

Thanks for your information Silvia

Tulsa
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montevideo late November

Thanks for your rsponse and the links...interesting.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montevideo late November

I agree with Silvia, get out of Montevideo if you have 10 days here. Personally, I would go to Colonia. Punta is still pretty dead in late November. It should be warmer in Colonia as well.

When we lived in Chile, we came to Punta for T-day weekend and had to buy jackets because it was just still so cold (Santiago by late November is already quite nice).

Personally, I find taxis to be pretty economical here, so I would just take a taxi instead of a bus. All taxis have rate sheets so just make sure you watch that the meter is at zero and that you are charged according to the sheet. Nothing should really be more than a 10-15 minute ride either (so if you find yourself on a 20 minute ride, you are probably getting a "tour"). I have never heard of the drivers doing this here, but I am sure you can run into this anywhere in the world. A small tip for the driver (rounding off the fare) is fine.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montevideo late November

I recently paid about 250 pesos (about $12) to go from Carassco to Pocitos if that gives you an idea - door to door 15 minutes. I imagine at some point you will want to go from the Holiday Inn to Pocitos - you should be somewhere in that ballpark. You might also ask the hotel home much it SHOULD cost. They might know a little more exactly.

Level Contributor
104 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montevideo late November

How is the weather in Piriapolis in mid-November? We'll be spending a week there, then a few days in Pocitos. Suggestions of things to see?

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montevideo late November

Hi NederlandTrav, at november is really nice and calm. Not too hot.

Few people at Piriapolis but is 30 minutes from Punta del Este so you can visit it. At Piriapolis you can walk at the rambla and visit Cerro Pan de Azucar, del Toro and others.

Fernando Semproni

Indoor Uruguay

Your local connection

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montevideo late November

1.5 days in Montevideo is enough - the beaches, in my experience, are brown water and don't have surf as they aren't exactly on the ocean - it's the end of the river. Colonia del Sacramento is a really cute, quaint place but again, a day there could be enough.

10. Re: Montevideo late November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 08:19