We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Event Report: Montevideo Jazz Festival At Teatro Solis

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Event Report: Montevideo Jazz Festival At Teatro Solis

I was doubly fortunate during this trip to get in live performances at 2 historic theaters in Buenos Aires and Montevideo. The Montevideo Jazz fest was happening during my visit so I snagged a reasonably priced ticket (about 30 USD) at the Teatro box office with the able assistance of a young man who conversed with me in Spanglish. Started out the evening cheap, taking a city bus for 19 UR pesos. It must have been rush hour, as we were packed in like sardines. A fellow passenger noticed me intently studying the street map, and let me know where to disembark. The Teatro Solis is a beautiful structure, the main entrance, cafeteria, gift shop and small stage in the newer section and the main performance hall in the historic building. While smaller than Teatro Colon, it was just as opulent, the acoustics ecellent, and had a more intimate feel. It was not a full house, so I quickly moved to a better seat when the lights dimmed. The evening consisted of 3 performances , the first being a French jazz pianist accompanied by a bass player and drummer. His selections were great (Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, a bossa nova number etc.). The second performer was a solo pianist from Italy whose style of playing quickly lost my attention so I escaped to the cafeteria for a glass of bubbly and some people watching. The Montevideanos know how to dress classy! The last musical act was an American jazz singer accompanied by the Montevideo Symphonic Band, which quickly stole the show; their horn section was fabulous. After the concert I blew my entire budget by treating myself to dinner at the very elegant restaurant Rara Avis which is in the same building as the Teatro. While their prices were certainly an eye opener the Petit filet de lomo and Tannat did not disappoint! And the waiter didn't bat an eye when I asked for a doggy bag for the remaining steak. All in all a fantastic way to spend my last night in this beautiful city (which deserves a separate trip report post).

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Event Report: Montevideo Jazz Festival At Teatro Solis

I'm glad you had a good time. I love Teatro Solís, it's one of the oldest Italian Opera Houses in the Americas, dates back to 1856.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Event Report: Montevideo Jazz Festival At Teatro Solis

What a great TR, DTinPDX; I really enjoyed it and am only sad that I will be in Montevideo after the season. You provided a lovely taste of the color, sounds and historic splendor of the Opera House, city life and some of the charming people who inhabit it. So glad you enjoyed your visit and the music.

3. Re: Event Report: Montevideo Jazz Festival At Teatro Solis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 23:16