We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Hi All

I will be visiting Uruguay this April for three days. I plan to take a ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del sacramento spending the rest of that day and the next there. There following morning i plan to get to Montevideo as early as possible to see as much as possible on that final day. Please can someone tell me what are the must see things in each place. I like beaches, taking pictures, scenic lookouts, historical landmarks etc I enjoy nights out in bars with live music and nice restaurants.

Also, whats the best way to travel from Colonia to Montevideo and the journey time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Gary

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

You can see all that there is to see in Colonia del Sacramento in a couple of hours, so I would suggest you move on quickly to Montevideo and spend two days there instead.

Take the Buquebus ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia, and later take the Buquebus bus to Montevideo.

See "Things to do" in the Montevideo box in the upper left hand corner of this page.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

To maximise time try to book the ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia and on the way back directly from Montevideo to BA

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
788 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Gary, you have a lot of buses covering Colonia to Montevideo trip. It's take around two and a half hour. Here you have all possibilities:

www.trescruces.com.uy/horarios.php…

In following link you can find the most important places to visit in Montevideo: (sorry but is in spanish, I will post a translation later).

tripadvisor.es/ShowTopic-g294323-i4804-k5884…

Hope you can enjoy Uruguay!

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Hi,

Thank you to you all for your kind advice. I'm really looking forward to going to Uruguay. No need to translate the Spanish as my girlfriend is from Spain :-)

Kind Regards

Gary

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Hey Nachof07 ... just a quick on to say a big thanks for putting that link up ... I am off to Montevideo for a few days and this has given me some great ideas and information on what to see and do.

Only downside is we only planned a few days and it looks like we could stay a few weeks .. minimum ... and there would still be good things to see and and do.

At least most of my homework has been done for me now ... thanks!

cheers

Victoria

PS I just copied and pasted it into Google Translate ... all good!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
704 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

I have to second MONTECD's suggestion.

Spend 2 days in MVD.

Glenelg, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Can you take a ferry / bus from Montevideo to Colonia and then a ferry to Buenos Aires?

Nachof07 do you have an english translation fort he most important places to visit in Montevideo? I would love to read your post.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Yes, you can take a Buquebus bus from Montevideo to Colonia del Sacramento and then a Buquebus ferry to Buenos Aires.

http://www.buquebus.com/BQBWebV2/web/ENG.Home

Glenelg, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

thanks, I will check this out

10. Re: montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:19