We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Just a warning to those who rent a car from Hertz in the Carrasco airport. When we picked up the rental car, I tried to use my Amex card. He kept swiping my card saying it won't go through and I ended up using my Visa. Thankfully I keep all receipts! Turns out he was putting all those charges through my Amex card. On my statement I have an $850 charge. My Visa was also charged $240, which was the correct total. I had to dispute the $850 charge with Amex.

Keep your receipts and beware of Hertz in this airport!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,797 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Thanks for the warning. How about complaining to Hertz headquarters? I know I would, but maybe it was an honest mistake; he thought the charge was going through but it was.

Now for the part I don't understand, was how did this become an actual charge on your Amex without you signing different vouchers? A merchant can run your card for authorization, but unless they have a signed voucher and deposit that on their account, I don't see how this can happen. This is not a less than $35 purchase at a CVS pharmacy where no signature is required for a small amount (not so small if you ask me).

Silvia

Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

I have no idea how they put it through without my authorization. I had a bad feeling, there was something about the guy that didn't seem right to me. Then he was laughing and speaking in Spanish to his co-worker, and I just thought something was going on but wasn't sure. Also, and I've never heard of this and I even called Amex about their rental car policy in Uruguay, the guy said if I use Amex rental car insurance, they would put a $16,000 hold on my card! Obv I used their car insurance then. I don't know, that seemed fishy to me too. Amex never said anything about a $16,000 hold and I've rented cars in Europe and never had them say that.

He just kept saying that my card won't work and I had to use my Visa. I don't know but it's on my statement so he def put it through. Not sure how he would benefit from it. I guess it could be a mistake, but I don't think it was. It just didn't sit right with me and my gut told me that day that something was wrong and to keep an eye out on my statement. I just wanted to warn others :) I know I won't have to pay for it, but it's wrong none the less :)

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Sorry about your difficulty with Hertz in Carrasco Airport.

We rented with them last month, and the entire experience was positive. I have to think that Silvia is correct, and that there was an error in the swiping. The deposit for Liability that you describe, is universal in Uruguay car rentals (as far as I know) and would be the same with Thrifty, Avis etc. The young men who waited on us, coming and going, went out of their way to be pleasant, efficient and helpful. We were fortunate in that.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,797 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Yes, just confirming, the deposit is common in Uruguay if you don't purchase full coverage. It's a pre-authorization request; not money immediately withdrawn from your account. Without full coverage, they need to protect themselves from theft and accidents that may total the car or close.

Someone at Amex should explain to you why they took three charges for same amount without your signature. One thing is a pre-authorization (which is not charged but only shown on your statement); the other is a charge and for that Amex should be doing some explaining as they didn't have your signature.

Silvia

Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Yea it was strange. He told me the Amex wouldn't go through at all, that's why I gave him my Visa card. I know from working as a receptionist, that if a card does go through, I know it and a receipt comes out. At the end of the shift I would've known if I accidentally put charges though, which is why I'm suspicious in this case.

There was something off, I thought it was strange and I knew I would have to deal with charges from them when I came home. The good thing is Amex, is very good about dealing with things like this.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

Interesting. I have been renting cars at this office for more than 10 years and never had any issue. Always good service and cars in reasonable good shape. I hope your problem will be solved. As another writer suggested, write to the CEO of the Rental Division.

JPF

7. Re: Beware of Hertz Rental Car in Carrasco - Montevideo Uruguay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2016, 07:16